『Chapter One』

Honey toned gaze roaming from person to person, Hermione frowned. There weren't many witches and wizards left, she knew this was the aftermath of a war. Just a few hundred who were eligible for the new laws, her options were slim. Crossing her fingers under her lap, she internally sighed at her own actions. She was nearly an adult woman, she should be past superstitions. Lacing her fingers together, she continued to look around the room until one man caught her eye. 

Tall, well-built, and that unmistakable crown of platinum. What would he be doing here, and why? As far as Hermione knew, he was rotting in Azkaban with his wretch of a father. Lip pulling back in distaste, the woman was about to look away when Draco noticed her staring. In the moment when grey met brown, she felt her cheeks flush with embarrassment, and she quickly spun around to avoid his gaze. 

"Damn it, Mione.." She scolded herself, practically able to feel his resentful gaze searing through the fabric of her jumper. Trying her best to ignore him, it felt like relief when a loud voice silenced everyone in the hall.

"Welcome witches and wizards, to the Pairing Ceremony, the first of its kind!" The ministers voice was too happy, too calm for what he was getting ready to conduct. "Many of you are aware of the reasons and rules of The Marriage Act, but for those under the rock, I shall refresh you. After the defeat of the Dark Lord, and the fall of his army, our populations dropped at an alarming rate."

Not listening to the speech, she only came back to attention after a few pairs had been assigned, none of which names she recognized. 

"Harry Potter and.." Inhaling sharply,  she desperately searched the crowd for her auburn haired friend, finally catching a glimpse of the fiery mane. "Ginervra Weasley."

Hermione relaxed at this, maybe the ministry wasn't fully batshit. If they could pair the Golden Boy and his girlfriend, surely she could end up with someone who wouldn't drive her mad. Watching as both of her friends stood and exiting the hall, she eyed a few more souls leaving the barren space.

"Blaise Zabini, and Luna Lovegood." Hermione deemed Zabini lucky, although she doubted he knew in the moment.

A pair listed, a pair leaving. The cycle continued for a few more elongated minutes until she heard his name. 

"Draco Malfoy," Whichever young witch paired with him was damned. Cursed with the constant presence of a traitor, an ex-death-eater, a loathsome little cockroach. "And Hermione Granger."

Time seemed to freeze. 

//Edit: That's right! My lazy self has finally gotten around to uploading again, although this time I'm putting this book under a heavy, and much needed editing process. Maybe I'll even switch up the plot a little, we shall see. I'm still totally open to feedback, all of the comments and dms concerning my writing are so helpful, I read the majority. I do try to address them when I can.

I don't know about you guys, but I thought since school is right around the corner, I might as well start it write. Get it? Write instead of right? No, that's the stupidest joke you've heard? Sorry, I'll leave now. //