One |New Beginnings|

ARLO

I can't believe after all the weird places I've lived in, my parents decided to settle in this weird town in Vermont. I mean, who names a town Milford? I sighed, unpacking my final box: clothes. "So that's where that jacket went." I murmured, picking up a dark, leather jacket and slipping it over my gray hoodie. It was freezing in this house. I mean, yeah it's a large house, but why does it have to be freezing? I figured the heat would be on and already raised the temperature a bit, but no! It's gotta be friggin cold in friggin VERMONT!

I heard a chuckle and snapped my head up to see my father leaning on the door's archway. I seemed to have gotten most of my appearance from him. Dirty blonde hair, ocean green eyes, sharp jawline, even my crooked smile matched his. It was kinda scary. Yet, it was my mother whom I had to thank for my body shape: short and thin. Curses....

"You're not cold, are ya Arlo?"

I gave him an unamused look. "How nice of you to notice I'm freezing all because you guys decided to move to stupid Vermont in the middle of stupid winter!"

He raised a single brow in amusement, his lips curling up into a smirk to go along with it. "It's still fall, champ."

"Close enough! More like pre-winter anyway!"

"Well, call it what you want, but it's still Autumn until December 21."

I groaned. "Why're you up here anyway?"

He scoffed. "What, am I not allowed to see my youngest child?"

My eyes narrowed. "Okay, what do you want?"

He flashed me an innocent smile and batted his eyelashes. "Whatever do you mean?"

I folded my arms. "Just tell me."

"Dinner's done."

"Dad, it's not even six yet."

"Son, it's 7:30. Did you forget to set your watch?"

"No...?" I smiled sheepishly, checking the time on my watch. 5:30. Wow.... Should be used to this by now.

"Boys, it's getting cold!" My mother shouted from downstairs.

My father rolled his eyes. "C'mon. Before Boss Lady pulls us to the dining room by our ears."

I laughed then followed him down the stairs and into the kitchen. Mom was standing beside the table which was already set. My older brother, Peter, was already seated and eyeing his food. Literally acts like he's dying of hunger even though he had a snack not even a full hour ago. Peter had black hair, brown eyes, and our mother's facial structure. His skin looked so smooth, it could've been porcelain.

"About time...." Peter grumbled.

"Oh, quit acting like you're starving." I shot back.

"I am starving."

I looked at him in disbelief. "You legit finished an entire bag of Doritos by yourself less than an hour ago...."

"Yeah, and do you really expect that to fill me up?"

"Fatass...." I grumbled.

My mother glared at me and pointed to the kitchen counter. "Jar!"

Yes, we have a swear jar. We have to put a quarter in every time we swear, but I only had a dollar. "This is fucking bullshit! Goddammit!" I shoved the dollar into the jar and plopped into my seat.

Mom glared daggers at me. "Was that necessary?"

"What? I only had a dollar."

My dad snorted and Mom slapped him upside his head. "Don't encourage him!"