Prologue

2020/04/04 - edited

The scorching sun beams down onto my skin as I walk down the dirt path. I glare up at the sun in annoyance. This is why I enjoy the city more, there are buildings that cover the direct sunlight. There are minimal trees for a few miles, only flat land with occasional trees. In the middle of all this land sits a small blue painted house.

I follow the dirt road leading me to the house. My expensive shoes kick up dirt as I speed towards the house. I couldn't drive my car up this road because the farmworker at the gate said it was a rule. The only cars allowed to drive in were farmer's machines.

I was annoyed.

I made a deal with Andrew Miller, a fellow businessman. The deal was simple. I invest in his company and he gets one of his daughters to marry me. Just for a year...

It's never that simple because people are greedy crooks. Miller got me to invest and gave me the worst of his daughters. He gave me the one that no one knows about. His secret. Miller gave me Angelica. The daughter is a result of his affair with a drug addict.

He cheated me but I should have known. Now the contract was signed and I am stuck with a billionaire's mistake.

I reach the house and knock on the door. There is no answer so I knock again. This time I hear a dog bark and a few moments later the door opens.

I am met with a sight to be seen. Never have a seen a more beautifully dirty sight.

Her clothes are full of dirt stains and her face is covered in a sheen of dirt and sweat. Her hair is ash brown and her skin tanned from hours in the sun.

Her eyes.

They are the colour of moss after it has rained. So vibrant and captivating.

"Afternoon. What can I do for you?" The woman asks brushing a bit of dirt from her rosy cheek.

"I'm looking for an Angelica Miller?" I ask, unsure if this beautiful woman could be the illegitimate daughter Andre Miller.

"That's me." She says lazily while leaning against the doorframe.

My annoyance suddenly fizzles out and I'm left deflated. I actually didn't really know why I had come here to be honest.

I already signed the contract and our fate was already sealed.

"Good afternoon, Ms. Miller. I'm Luke White." I say sticking my sweaty hand out. I suddenly feel very hot and flustered under her scorching gaze. She takes one look at my hand and chuckles lightly.

"I would shake your hand but I'm covered in dirt. Maybe next time." She says and my hand drops to my side. She then gives another chuckle.

"So you're the poor soul my father tricked into marrying me." She says with a bitter tone. Something tells me she isn't a daddy's girl.

"Yes, unfortunately." I sigh and I wipe the sweat from my brow. She nods and steps out of the doorway.

"Come in. It hot outside and we probably have a few things to discuss." She walks further into the house and I quickly follow.

I then noticed the complete simplicity of the house. It is very simple and you could say minimal. There are no pictures on the walls or any decorative objects.

"I'm a minimalist to some extent." She must have caught me staring. I just nod my head and we sit at a small two-seat dining room table.

"So Red. Tell me why do you need a wife." She asks and I immediately feel a little insulted. I don't like it when people call me Red because of my hair.

"It's Luke and I need a wife to keep the press happy. They think I'm this ladies man, which I'm not, that sleeps with every woman I meet. It's not good for my company's reputation and for my own reputation." It's true. The press would hunt me down and whenever I even look in the direction of a lady they would say that she's my new fling. It was bad for business and even bad for the reputation of the women who are being accused.

Angelica nods and I can't help but be curious.
"And how did your father convince you to be my wife." I ask and just she shrugs.

"It's simple really. If I don't marry you he takes away the farm and I won't lose this farm." Her whole body language speaks for her frustration. "More than fifty workers will be sacked and I pit so much work into this that I'm not going to give it up." Her eyes show the passion she possesses for this farm and the people.

"Your father has arranged that we have our wedding in two months. It would give you enough time to pack your things...not that you have much. It would also give us enough time to build a relationship in public. Be sighted together a few times then announce the wedding." I say and she nods leaning back into her chair.

"Just to make sure that we are on the same page here. I move in with you for a year and play wife but I still drive in everyday to work here?" She asks and I nod. Mr. Miller and I discussed all this.

"Yes, that is correct."

"Well then, Red. When's our first date?"