Chapter 4

Alex POV

--------------------

"What do you mean your not Lexa?" Wanheda quipped back to the girl that she thought she knew.

"I mean," I stated slowly as if she couldn't understand me if I spoke any faster, "I am not Lexa Woods." Seriously! How dense can the Commander of Death be.

"Yes, I understand that you don't want to be Lexa anymore. I know your tired of the assassination attempts. Of everyone always fighting against what you say," Wanheda said as she reached to hold my hands once again. 

"We talked about this, Lex." Her hands were surprisingly soft and warm as they enclosed my own. "You wouldn't be you if you were not the commander, and I know it is ultimately your decision, but after this little break I believe that you need to be the commander again. You said it best a few days ago..."

She moved closer to me, her eyes flicking to my lips. 

"That's why I- that's what makes you, you." She said earnestly, her deep blue eyes staring into mine. Her face moved closer to mine. What is she doing? Is she going to kiss me?

I snapped my hands out of her embrace, and pushed her back. My green eyes returned to my usual cold gaze.

"Lexa, What the hell!" She yelled enraged.

"I said," My hand reached for my knife, stashed in the sheath on my right quad, "I'm not Lexa." With a slow smile, I pulled the blade free.

Once again I started, "My Name is -"

"Alex?" A cool voice that mimicked my own finished my sentence. 

My eyes flicked up, as Wanheda turned on her heel, to find my exact replica standing in the doorway.

There she was. Even though I knew it to be true, I couldn't believe my eyes. After years and years of being alone, I once again stood in front of my sister. I had heard the stories of her great power and brilliant war tactics, but she looked small and fragile as she saw a ghost from her past before her.

"Is it really you?" Her voice cracked as she started across the floor. She walked slow, limping, with a hand held to her stomach. That must have been where the bullet hit her. There was a lump in my throat that no matter how hard I swallowed it wouldn't go away. I couldn't find the words to speak, all that is running through my head is the memory of the four-year-old girl running through the streets as I chased behind her.

Wanheda head whipped back and forth, her eyes filled with confusion as she tried to comprehend what was happening before her.

With each step Lexa took towards me, each step the young girl in my memory took away from me, leaving me behind to be tortured and alone. My eyes snapped back to reality. Yes that was my sister walking towards me, and I was going to kill her.

Quickly, before she could move, I grabbed Wanheda by the hair and pressed the sharp edge of my blade to her throat. "Don't even think about taking another step."

Lexa stopped immediately, fearing for Wanheda's well being. So she cares for this girl, I noted, She could be useful.

"Alex? What are you doing? Release Clarke at once!" She yelled, her eyes scanning the room for a weapon, but she did not dare take another step.

"Look at me." I said, the hate filling my voice. She brought her eyes up to me mine. "I am going to kill her." 

Anger flashed across Lexa's face. Her hands clenched into fists as she stepped forward. I pressed the blade harder into Wanheda's neck. She flinched as ripples of blood start to drip from the knife.

When she saw the blood forming on Wanheda's neck Lexa once again stepped back. "Don't do this Alex!" She cried, her voice cracking.

I am surprised by her reaction. This is not what I expected from someone whose reputation says that they are a ruthless leader who will let others die for them in a heartbeat. 

She must care for this girl a lot. Then I remembered how Wanheda took my hands and looked into my eyes. How she stood close and how her eyes flickered between my eyes and my lips. And then it dawned on me. 

A wicked smile once again spread across my face.  She is in love with this girl.

"Tsk, tsk, tsk. Lexa I am surprised by you over and over again. Your people praise you for being such a brilliant leader, but yet I cannot even fathom how utterly stupid you are." I started to laugh.

"Please let her go. Take me, please take me instead." Lexa insisted.

 "Please let her go," I mimicked, "Oh my dear sister, I cannot believe that you didn't learn that love was weakness the last time I had my knife pressed to the neck of one of your little girlfriends." 

Once again I watched the anger flare in her eyes. But this time, it was followed by a flash of pain. The pain satisfied my own anger. I wanted her to feel as much pain as I have felt over the years.

"You killed Costia?" I could hear the betrayal in her voice.

I nodded, "It was even my idea to deliver her ugly mug to you bed." I grinned pleased with myself.

"But why Alex, why are you doing this to me?"  How can she not see that she deserves this!  

"What do you mean, why?!" I scream, my blade pushing farther into the neck of Wanheda.

 "YOU LEFT ME BEHIND. YOU LET ME BE TORTURED FOR YEARS. YOU ALLOWED ME TO BECOME A KILLER. YOU DESERVE THIS!" 

I could barely see through the anger that clouded my eyes. I refused to allow the tears that threatened to run freely run down my face.

"AND NOW YOUR LITTLE GIRLFRIEND,  WHAT WAS HER NAME? CLARKE? SHES GOING TO PAY FOR YOUR CRIMES. YOU KILLED HER LEXA! YOU KILLED HER!" I screamed. 

I looked down to the top of Clarke's head. The Commander of death? Ha! That was a joke, she will be my easiest kill. As I went to pull the knife across her throat, I felt something hard fly into my skull.

"What the..." I pressed my hand to my skull. Blood dripped from a newly formed wound near my left temple. I looked to the floor to see what had hit me. When I saw it, I thought I was dreaming. It was a pendent. 

One that I had hanging from my neck at this very second. The pendent was made from metal, it depicted two small trees, intertwined together to form one strong Oak.

This was the only item that the Queen allowed me to keep from my past. I couldn't remember what it meant, just that it had always been there. I reached for my chest to see how Lexa had gotten ahold of my most prized possession.

 The distraction was all Clarke needed to best me. As my hand traveled towards my chest, hers threw the knife from her throat. Before I could even realize what was happening, Clarke smashed her elbow into my skull sending me to the floor.

With one more hit, my world faded to black.

------------------------

Lexa POV

"So, are you going to tell me what the hell is going on?!" Clarke yelled as she finished knotting the robe that bound the hands of my twin sister.

The hands of my sister. How did this happen. Alex has be dead since I was four summers old! My parents searched for her for years after her disappearance. She had to be dead. But there she lay in front of me. Her eyes were closed. Peaceful. She looked thin, I wondered when the last time she ate was.

"Lexa!" Clarke's voice brought me back, "What the hell is going on!"

"Do not curse at me Clarke," I responded, "I am just as confused as you are."

"Lexa," Clarke said, saying my name in the way only she could," who is she?"

"My sister." I took a deep breath, "Our parents were blessed with two children from one pregnancy." 

"Until my sister, Alex, died when I was four." I finished.

"If your sister died, Lexa, then how is this happening."

"I don't know"