Chapter 1- Flower of Death

SAPPHIRA SNOW
DECEMBER 20, 13

(Note: The year is based off of the number of the Hunger Games.)

White. A color of innocence, purity, and goodness.

Many people see white as calmness or protection. They might see the white foam from the ocean of District 4 and feel calm. They might see the white uniforms of the Peacekeepers and feel protected.

But that's not how I see the color white. I see it as a color of death.

As I plucked a white rose from a bush in our garden, I thought of my father and my older brother; they love roses. I see anything that my father does as deadly. He's the one who created the Hunger Games after all.

The Hunger Games is an event where each of the twelve districts would randomly select a boy and a girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to compete in game where only one of them comes out alive.

Ironically enough, today was the Victory Tour and the Victor, Dagan Garnell of District 9 was here to visit the Capitol. The Victory Tour was a reminder to the Victor that the Capitol is, and always will be, the upper hand of Panem. It was a reminder to the Victor of the horrible things they experienced in the arena. It was a reminder to the Victor that even though they may have survived, they didn't actually win.

I crushed the white rose in my hand and the petals fell to the ground. I headed inside my mansion and entered my room.

On my vanity, I found a note with a bottle of perfume.

For you, my sweet daughter.

I immediately recognized the handwriting to be my Father's and I sprayed the perfume. As the perfume squirted out of the bottle, I caught a whiff of the scent. Roses.

I opened the bottle of perfume and poured its contents down the drain. I wasn't about to cover myself in the scent of the flower of death.

XXX

"I don't smell any roses today." My Father said to me as we danced together.

"I'm so sorry," I said with fake sincerity. "I was about to put it on but I accidentally dropped the bottle."

"It's fine sweetie, I just thought you would like it." My Father and I don't have a close relationship so he doesn't know the things that I like and I hate.

"May I cut in?" I looked at the owner of my voice and I immediately recognized it as my Mother. She looked beautiful today like she always does. Her black hair flowed down her shoulders and her bedazzled red dress swept the floor. "Of course." I replied with a smile and walked over to the table where six of my siblings sat. My youngest sibling, Venus, is barely three months old so she couldn't attend the dinner.

"Oh look who's here." Nero, my younger brother said, grinning at me with his chest on the back of his chair.

Nero has black hair just like my mother and I and he has an adorable face that surely made girls his age giggle and whisper when he walks by. If perfection were a person, he would be the poster child.

I sat down on the chair between him and my older brother, Coriolanus. Coriolanus was too busy staring at a strawberry blonde girl to notice me.

"Ooh is that your girlfriend?" I said in a teasing voice, especially when saying the word "girlfriend." Coriolanus turned around to face me and pushed me lightly.

"She's not my girlfriend, I just think she's really pretty." He smiled and turned back around to take another glimpse of the gorgeous strawberry blonde girl. "I heard her name is Marigold. She's in a few of my classes at school, but I haven't spoken to her much."

"Why don't you go talk to her?" I replied. "Sorry but I'm not speaking to her. You know what they do when they see us."

I understood what he was saying. Most people looked at my family with respect, but a few were scared of us. Many of the children, including my classmates, thought that if they said the wrong thing to me that I would tell my Father and he would kill them and their family. That wasn't something that I would do, but Isolde had requested something like that before. My Father would smile and laugh at her and tell her she was too young to be thinking murderous thoughts.

"Oh well it's your loss." Just as I said that, our four year old sister, Lillian, tugged on Coriolanus's sleeve and opened her mouth to speak.

"What's a girlfriend?" She asked with her squeaky voice. Lillian's the inquisitive one of the family, probably since she's so young and new to the world.

"It's a girl that you're romantically involved with." Coriolanus responded.

"What's romantically involved?"

"It's when you kiss someone and you have strong feelings for them." Coriolanus explained once more. Nero and I smiled at each other. So young. So innocent. One day she'll no longer be a young child and one day she'll no longer be innocent of the horrible things going on in Panem.

"Why don't you have a girlfriend?" Lillian kept questioning. Her big blue eyes glowed as she looked at her older brother.

"Yeah why don't you have a girlfriend?" Nero asked. Coriolanus threw Nero the "shut up" glare and told Lillian to not worry about such things and go get a dessert.

An upbeat song played and all of my siblings left to go dance or get food except for my beloved brothers Coriolanus and Nero.

"You know I've been thinking," Nero said and sipped on his glass of water. "I want to know more."

"Know more about what?" I asked, both Coriolanus and I looking at Nero with curiosity visible on our faces.

"I want to know more about the history of Panem. Well actually, what it used to be. North America."

XXX

Author's Note: Thank you for reading! Sorry if the story seemed a bit cheesy, it'll get a lot better later on. I've planned this story for months and I've always wanted to write it, but I was too lazy to do so until now. If you noticed any grammar mistakes, please point them out. This is my first Hunger Games fanfiction so I hope you liked it. If you haven't read the introduction, please do because it explains some things. Don't forget to vote, comment, and follow me! Thanks everyone!