Those Exact Eyes

In the past couple of years, Allie had become a pretty successful real estate agent. She had accompanied clients to some of the most exquisite apartments in all of Gotham. Today, she closed a deal on the penthouse suite of one of the finest luxury apartment buildings in the city. This meant a huge payday on her part. She was elated leaving for home that day.

"Allie?!" She heard someone call her name. "Oh, my God! It is you!" Joanna embraced the other woman tightly. "Joanna! It's been so long! So what are you doing around here?" "Oh, I've just been shopping with some of my friends. But what about you?! What have you been doing all this time?!" "Working. I'm a real estate agent!" "Allie that's so awesome. I knew you'd do something great with yourself."

Allie happened to look at the time on her phone, "Oh, shit I have to go pick up my son from daycare." Joanna was in utter shock,
"What? You have a son??" Allie's stomach dropped when she realized what she said. "Yeah." She fake smiled. "Well what's his name?! How old is he?!" Allie strongly hesitated and cleared her throat awkwardly. "Jake. And he's almost three." Joanna gushed, "Can I see a picture of him?"

Shit, the second she sees him she's going to know who he belongs to, Allie thought. "Yeah, here." Little Jake was pretty much all that there was on her camera roll. Joanna scrolled through a few snaps. "He's so precious. Seriously, he should be a baby model. Those eyes are so blue." Allie nodded, "I know I love his eyes." "It's weird, it's like I've seen those exact eyes before."

Allie held her breath as it was clear that Joanna was putting the pieces together. The two women looked at each other in a mutual understanding. "He's Joker's. Isn't he?" There was no way out of it now. "Yes, he is." "He looks just like him. Does he know?" Allie shook her head. "No." She looked down at the sidewalk. "Look, it's none of my business, but are you sure that's for the best?" "Joanna, you know his lifestyle and the things he's done." "Well that didn't bother you when you two were together. Plus your little boy will be more than taken care of financially."

"Look, I have to go pick him up." "Okay, Allie, I don't want to upset you. Let's get together this weekend or something." Allie nodded, "Sure, sounds good." "Would tomorrow night be alright? There's this new place you'd probably like." "Yeah, okay." "I'll send you the address." As Allie walked away from her old friend and to her car she was overwhelmed with guilt and nervousness. She never assumed that Joker would want to be a part of Jake's life. Maybe it was easier to feel that way because Joker did not know about his offspring.

She arrived home with Jake. The two of them played and watched tv before eating dinner. As they sat at the table Allie asked her son, "Jake, how about you stay with grandma tomorrow night?" The little boy looked at his mother in confusion, "But why momma?" It was a rarity for him to not stay in his own home. "Well, because I'm going out with a friend." Jake was getting upset, "But I wanna stay with you." "I know, buddy but you'll have so much fun with grandma. And it's only for one night."

Allie managed to calm the boy down after he cried for a bit. She understood why he was upset. The two of them were always together. She'd grown quite attached to him too. She started to feel guilty for leaving him for a night. However, she also felt that she owed it to herself to go out and have fun.

The following night, Allie carried Jake into her mother's apartment. Allie secretly maintained contact with her mother, Carol, throughout her relationship with the Joker. They even met up on several occasions during the time. Allie had decided to keep her mother and Joker's paths separated. She lied about who her boyfriend was, even going as far as to make up different ones. This way, Carol wouldn't want to meet her longtime beau. Allie told her that Jake's father had wanted nothing to do with him. This lie permitted Allie to live without her mother's concerned and pestering questions.

After dropping Jake off, Allie was headed to the night club that Joanna gave her directions to. When she walked in, she was immediately reminded of Joker's club and all the memories of the nights they spent there. The dance floor was covered and the music was booming. The club itself was beautiful and lavish. She looked all around for Joanna. She spotted her at a table. And that's when she noticed him. The green hair would give him away at any distance.

Joanna saw Allie and made a beeline for her. Joker began to breathe heavily and he stood up. He and Allie's eyes were locked. Allie felt faint as the other woman put her hands on her arms. She honestly felt like she'd fall to the floor. "Allie, it's okay. Let's just go to the bathroom." Joker and Allie didn't take their eyes off of each other's as she was dragged to the bathroom by Joanna.

"Listen, I didn't say anything about your boy, that's your business. But, Allie, Joker has been a mess since the day you left." Allie could barely breathe, "How do you know that?" "Because I'm dating Jonny Frost. We're at the club all the time. All Jonny ever says is how much of a drunken stupor Joker is in." "Why are you doing this, Joanna?" She sighed, "He needs to see you. He can't focus. Financially, he'd be in the hole if it weren't for the success of the new club." "This is his new club?" Joanna nodded, "He had to leave the other one. But that can wait. Go see him."

"You don't understand-" Allie was cut off by a half naked woman coming into the bathroom saying that Joker couldn't wait any longer for Allie. The two women made their way back out. Allie could feel her heart thumping in her throat as they approached Frost and Joker. "Well, let's leave them to it." Frost said as he and Joanna started walking away. "Good to see you, Miss Allie." "You too Frost." She smiled at him.

They were now left alone. He kept staring at her. The same uncomfortable stare from the night they first met. He got closer to her. He was fighting the urge to thrust himself onto her. He needed to feel her in his arms. He was the first to speak, "Hello, Kitten." She smiled softly, "J." He got even closer to her. "I have missed you." He took her hand in his. "You have no idea how much I've missed you." She replied. "Oh, I think I have an idea." He purred.

He continued to hold her hand. "Are you seeing anyone else?" She shook her head once and said softly, "No." He grinned happily. He held his other hand up and looked into her eyes as if to ask permission to touch her. She leaned forward slightly into his touch. He tucked a piece of hair behind her ear. "You cut your hair. I like it." She gazed into his eyes. She needed to touch him too, just to know this was actually happening. She put her hand on his chest.

"Joker I-" "Allie, I'm sorry, I just need to say something: I still love you. I want to be with you." She shook her head, "No, J, we don't even know each other anymore." "Of course we do. This time that we've spent apart doesn't have to mean anything." He assured her. "But it does." "But why? Is everything alright? What are doing for work? Do you need anything? Money?" "No, no, everything is fine. I'm a real estate agent. That's so sweet of you, anyway." He nodded, "I'm proud of you. I knew my girl could handle it out there."

All of her emotions were running together and she needed some sort of release from them. She quickly wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him deeply. He pressed his hands to her back which in turn pressed her entire body into his. Joker dreams were finally a reality. He pulled away from her and whispered against her lips, "I want to take you home. I want to make love to you tonight." He kissed her again, but she soon pulled away and put her head on his chest.

"Allie." She seemed very upset so he placed a firm kiss on her head. She took a deep breath, "J, I didn't know it at the time, but I was pregnant when I left three years ago." His grip on her loosened as he stood there in shock, staring at her face. "We have a little boy. He's healthy and perfect. He's so much like you." She started to cry, "It's wrong to keep a father from his child, but I did what I thought was best for him. I'm so sorry, J."

Joker stood in silence for several seconds, "Where is he?"