XI

• Dedicated to Hannah T.

To put it lightly, the ridding on Eragon's back while he was sprinting at full speed was not pleasant. It was way bumpy, I was practically slipping off the entire time, and I had to suffer the humiliation of people watching a no-longer-a-child be given a piggy-back through 3/4 of the camp. Yep, great day so far. We finally reached a random tent that was completely ordinary, but seemed to be the one that Eragon was looking for (I have no idea how, they were all seriously identical!). He put me down on a log about 10 feet away from the tent, and then sat down himself; Arya stood their looking like she was looking for something. I gave Eragon my dude-seriously-?-! face. He just stared at me with a blank look and said, "What?" "Think about it for a second." "Think about what?" "Dude! You couldn't have just made me run! You had to flip me over your back like a rag doll! Why didn't you just allow me to run beside you!?" "You wouldn't have been able to keep up. And we had to get here immediately. Besides, I don't think that you would have come willingly with the way you were acting."

"First off, I would have come willingly because if I didn't then I either would have been left with Nasuada alone or, much more likely, she would have had the elves escort me to my tent again. Second, we're the first ones here! Immediately is no excuse for carrying me like a 3 year old! That was totally and completely embarrassing!" "I'm sorry, I never thought of that." "It's okay, but we would have made it here in pretty good time if we had just run at a normal human speed." "I suppose." "Hmnh, right." Saphira landed behind us and sat down straight away. She knew we would be here for a while. 

..................................................................(Sometime Later)............................................................................... 

We'd been sitting for hours! A few people had arrived since the time of the piggy-back-"conversation". Two of them were Albriech and Baldor, Elain's sons. Naturally they were there because it was their mother having the baby. Another was Gertrude, who was the physician there to help Elain. A couple other people showed up, the women who did went into the tent to help Gertrude and Elain while the men stayed outside. Then one last pair showed up; obviously a husband and wife. The wife was very much with child, and the husband looked like he had just gotten done washing dishes because the whole front of his shirt was wet. When Arya saw the wife, she went and talked to her, then motioned for me to come over. I went.

"Sadie," Arya said while the wife went to a fire's side where women where cleaning rags. The wife grabbed some rags and headed for the tent, stopping and waiting for Arya. "You are old enough to help us deliver the child, would you like to help?" "Arya, no offense or anything, but no." "Why not?" "That is a doctor's job. I am not a doctor!" What's a doctor?" "A person who was trained for things like this and went to school for an extremely long time to get a fancy degree. I'll pass thanks, I haven't been to school that long yet." "Alright. Then that means that you'll have to stay out here and wait with Eragon." "That's okay with me. It will probably be better for me to wait out here anyway." "Fine, be good." "Do you even have to say that!?!" Then Arya walked to the tent and went inside with the wife.

I went and sat down by Eragon, the husband had also sat down by him. "Aren't you going to help," asked Eragon. "No." "Why?" "Helping someone deliver a baby is not my thing. Trust me on this. Besides I'm definitely not doctor either." "A doctor?" "A person who was trained to handle things like this and went to school for a really long time to get a fancy degree." "I see." "You're totally confused aren't you?" "Aye." 

The husband was looking at us like he was missing something, then he asked Eragon, "Eragon, who is this?" "Oh, right, you haven't met yet! Roran, this is Sadie." I stood up and walked in front of the husband and said, "So you're Roran! Nice to finally meet you." I held out my right hand so we could shake hands, but he looked at it funny. "Sorry, I forgot that you don't do that here." "Do what here?" "Shake hands." "Why do you 'shake hands'?" "It's like a non-official way of saying 'hello' to someone when you meet them for the first time, and then in some cases a 'congratulations' when you do something amazing." "Oh. Pleasure to meet you Sadie." After that I sat back down on my log and no said anything else after that. The first scream had been let off, high, shrill, heartbreaking, and terrifying all at the same time.