Chapter 24

Natalie and Elston's wedding was taking place at his parent's place. We were in the guest quarters getting ready, well I was ready and waiting. Natalie was fussing and barking at the poor woman doing her hair. I looked at my mother who was sitting on the lounge, both of us had a knowing smile on our faces. My attention turned out to the gardens where the ceremony was going to be performed. Their place was beautiful, a massive tree sat in the centre of their courtyard it was the dominating feature of their land. Beyond the tree was where the chairs were set up, at the end was Elston and Lucas talking to the officiate. Jonah was already sitting with his parents and my father. This was my own personal hell, watching someone else get what I want, if only Jonah would read my mind. But he wouldn't, it was the one thing that he refused to do. He believed that a person's mind was their own sanctuary and it should never be invaded.

Ariella and I were waiting by the doors to the courtyard, Natalie was still in the guest quarters doing what I had no clue. Ariella looked at me with a grin, wrapping her arm around me with a hug.

"Be brave Ivy."

I nodded returning the grin which was just as well, Natalie was moving to us. Neither of us wanted her to see us being sour on her special day. Both of us were in long flowing fuchsia dresses, everything was pink. I was drowning in a pink wedding; I wasn't the kind of girl that would wear pink. But Nat had picked the dresses out while Ariella was getting drunk at the tool box so neither of us had a choice in the dresses we wore. Ariella was taller than me, the dress suited her complexion far better than me. She had a pale tan to her skin where as I was pretty pale. I had green eyes and black hair she had blue eyes and brown hair. Let's just say the dress suited her far better than it did me. I didn't really care, it was a beautiful dress that swayed when I walked and sat well on my thin body.

My uncle stepped out from another room looking like he was the happiest man on this earth. Well probably not as happy as Elston but he was still one happy man.

*****************************

I had danced with each and every single one of my uncles, I had five of them. Then my father as always insisted on dancing with me, I knew he would never pass up the opportunity. And of course my grandfather was just as insistent, the whole dance he was questioning me what was in my future, when was Jonah going to propose, I couldn't be a single woman for the rest of my life. I just agreed with him, stating it wasn't my place to do the proposing, I had to wait for Jonah to do it. As a man of tradition, my grandfather agreed with me, it was Jonah's job to do the marriage proposal and that he would be having words with not only Jonah but my father as well. I looked over to my father who gave me a sympathetic smile. I grinned back, thinking it was him that was going to need the sympathy very soon. But my grandfather continued, I didn't want to listen to the same conversation going around in circles. I knew he meant well but I was struggling to keep my positive mind from turning negative, creating some blubbering mess that would go running out of the ball room in a streak of runny mascara and tears. Why did it mean so much?

It means so much because it's an act of commitment. It means so much because in one question he asks to spend his entire life with you and only you.

My head perked up to the unknown but oddly familiar voice in my head. Someone had broken through the barricade in my mind and heard my negative thoughts. This wasn't good. Who had broken through? Would they tell Jonah? I didn't want him forced into this.

Who are you?

An old friend, I held you when you were hours old Ivy, I looked upon you and wished for my own, so tiny and perfect. Your time will come, relax and enjoy the evening. He does not need to be rushed and you need not fear any one finding out, I would not breathe it to another soul.

How did you get in?

Knowledge rules in this world Ivy, knowing the right people helps you gain knowledge.

Whoever it was left my mind and I continued to dance with my grandfather, while he prattled on about marriage completely unaware that I hadn't been listening. This would drive me crazy, the voice was definitely male but I couldn't place it. It wasn't someone I knew too well; I didn't know the voice though it did seem familiar. When the song was done my grandfather led me to the side of the dance floor. I turned to watch those who remained out there, seeing Lucas and Scarlett leaving the dance floor also. Lucas smiled at me and instantly I knew who was in my mind.

Ariella had picked herself up and surprisingly had called mister dazzling smile who was her date for the wedding. A wedding that Lucian attended. I was beyond shocked that he was there, after quizzing Nat about it she told me that they had little choice. Alina wanted him to be punished for what he did, I think all the times his father did it to her still haunted her and now she was going to ensure her son understood the pitfalls of cheating on someone. Especially someone that was in your social circle. And that was why she reasoned with Scarlett and Lucas that he should be made to go. I looked at Jonah and shook my head, wondering what was wrong with these people. But Lucian got what he deserved. He got to see Ariella dancing with one very handsome fellow, looking beyond happy and for the entire night she didn't look at him once. Punishment served.