four

Rose's eyelids finally separated, crusty mascara making the process slower than it should've been. She yawned and sat up on the couch. Climbing off the sofa, her eyes gazed over to Dodie, who was cooking eggs and tea. Rose suddenly became more aware of the fact she was wearing an old tee shirt, and her hair was unbrushed. She flattened the tangled mess as much as she could before Dodie turned to her.

"Slept well?" Dodie smiled. Rose grinned back.
"Well enough." She answered, laughing.
The girls both shared a giggle and went on with eating their food.

"You alright?" Dodie asked, her brow furrowing.
"Hm? Yes, how come?"
"You've barely touched your food."

Rose looked down at her plate and blushed. She had been partaking in bad habits, cutting up each bit of food into a tiny piece, initiating small talk to fill the void in her stomach.

"I'm fine. Just not hungry."
Dodie nodded, satisfied with the answer. Rose let out a breath she didn't know she was holding.

The two spent the whole day trying to set up Rose's bed frame. By the time the sun had set, the room was littered with various hardware supplies, but the job had been done.

As a celebratory act, the two drink some leftover champagne Dodie had acquired from  a party, and was cooking some sort of fancy cheese wrapped in pastry in the oven. Rose nodded her head to a few songs on Dodie's playlist before gulping down the rest of her glass and jumping up.

"Is this 'Gooey'? by the Glass Animals?" Rose questioned, her freckles becoming seemingly brighter as she grinned. Dodie laughed and got up as well, the two clearly a bit tipsy.

"This is my favorite song." Dodie smiled, beginning to shuffle around.

"What are you doing?"
"Dancing of course. Loosen up a little love." Dodie replied.

For the first time, Rose let go of her cares.

The two girls laughed, sock-clad feet making graceful movements on the floor, skirts twirling. They laughed and it was as if the planets had stopped orbiting to watch the two move. Dodie's soft hands grabbed Rose's small ones and drunken, muted giggles echoed off the walls. The two were too drunk to have full control over their actions, but sober enough to remember everything.

Rose twirled under Dodie's arm and the two became tangled, growing increasingly closer.

It was finally Dodie who pulled them closer together. Their cheeks flushed pink and their foreheads rested together. Their soft hands were intertwined in each other and both girls began to inch their lips closer and closer together. Both let their eyes flutter closed as the beats of the song presisted. They were so close, they could feel each others warm, champagne flavored breath. But not touching.

The trance was broken by the ding of the oven.
Dodie giggled and pulled away. Rose just sat their, almost embarrassed that the kiss didn't happen.

"Cheese is done." Dodie smirked, walking over   to get the oven.

Rose was confused. Disappointed.

But most of all, scared.

She had really hoped she wouldn't fall in love with the singer.

For her heart, her being, like every other relationship she'd ever had,

was bound to crumble.