VII. ELEVEN

CHAPTER SEVEN
━━━━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ━━━━━
❝ELEVEN❞

READING TO MIKE had become a pattern. Every morning, Jade would head to school at least thirty minutes before class began; always, Mike would be downstairs, waiting by her locker. They would go to the girls' bathroom, take their normal spots against opposite walls, Jade would read, and Mike would listen.

 It was surprising how far along they had managed to reach in five days of reading for half an hour, especially considering how small the text was and how lengthy the paragraphs could be. Jade would smile about it to herself quite often; she now kept two separate bookmarks, one much further ahead than the other.

 Friday rolled around, and her mother was off work. Jade found that she did not want to wake her, however; the gray in her hair only increased in amount. She worked at a factory, and it was hard, bone-tiring work. Jade suspected there was much more to it, too, but could never have brought herself to ask. Instead, she made a mental note to look for a job of her own, in spite of the fact that her mother avidly shot the idea down when Jade mentioned it.

 For some reason, Jade felt slightly guilty for the fact that, for once, she was happy. Not just content, but joyous, even. And it was all on account of Mike Wheeler, and more specifically because he had asked her to read to him and he listened. Like hardly anyone else, he listened.

 Of course, most of their interaction consisted primarily of reading. Questions about the book and comments, predictions. The two shared three classes, and Dustin was included in two of those—the first two periods, Chemistry and History—, and Dustin was always keen on keeping Jade close by and away from Mike.

 Final period—French—was peaceful, though. Jade could sit with Mike as much as she liked, and no one was going to bring them apart. In a way, they had sort of become good friends. Even having Lucas and Dustin and Esme, Jade thought that Mike might be her best friend.

 Friday morning, Jade scribbled a hasty note for her mother before stepping outside, into frigid December air. It wasn't even winter yet, and Jade felt her skin freeze the very moment she stepped outside.

 Still, she fought through the cold. Jade found herself, unsurprisingly, thinking of Mike; just picturing his lips and his smile, his eyes and even his hair, brought heat to her cheeks. By the time Jade was halfway to school, she was not cold at all.

 As usual, Jade found Mike leaning against her locker downstairs. When he spotted her, a gentle smile touched his lips, and he broke the contact between shoulder and locker. Jade continued past her locker, a few feet down the hall, to reach the bathrooms, and Mike simply fell into step beside her.

 Just as they entered the bathroom, Mike spoke. "Thank you," he said, voice smooth as polished wood. There was something very alluring about his voice alone, something that sent chills down Jade's spine. "For doing this. Reading to me."

 Jade turned toward the hidden mirror, and whirled to face Mike. He almost ran into her, and she took a couple of hasty steps backward. A shy smile played about her lips.

 "No problem." Jade bit down on her lip; she was getting nervous again, because Mike stood so close, and she could smell his cologne. "Um—thanks for giving me something better to do."

 "Usually, sex jokes are beneath me," Mike said, a grin spreading across his mouth, "but no problem. No problem at all."