XVII. DEFENSE

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
━━━━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ━━━━━
❝DEFENSE❞

NEWS SPREAD QUICKLY. Especially in a tiny town like Hawkins.

 After spending an hour at Hawk's café, completely filling Steve in on her abilities and her dreams, her predictions and El's warnings, Steve had pulled some strings and arranged for Jade and Mike to take their midterms later that day. By then, it seemed that the entire town was informed: A boy had nearly died from the cold, only to be found and saved by Jade Oaks and Mike Wheeler.

 Today was Friday: The final day of testing, before Christmas Break. Jade and Mike had, as usual, read It in the downstairs girl's restroom before exams began; as soon as the bell rang, however, nearly half of the school's population found themselves seeking the pair out. They had narrowly escaped.

 A few agonizing hours later, the midterm exams finally reached a conclusion. The bell blared its blissful tune; Jade had never jumped to her feet so quickly, pushed by a wave of satisfaction. Her tan bag was incredibly light when she threw it over her shoulder.

 Mike, having been placed the closest to the door, awaited Jade, back pressed against the wall just beside the door. A goofy smile played about his mouth, and he pushed forward when Jade was just out of reach. He noticed the way people were eyeing her—and himself as well, but he didn't care about that—and instantly went to curl his arm around her shoulders, as if to protect her from all eyes and approaches.

 "Thank God," Jade sighed, snuggling into his arm as they rushed out of the classroom. The edges of her lips were upturned. "That was so stressful."

 "Seriously." Mike's smile brightened, and he pulled Jade's head onto his shoulder. "Now we can read any time, all the time."

 Jade laughed, but she already found her smile vanishing. She had thought the gnawing at her gut was simply the anticipation of leaving school and beginning Christmas Break, but it was still there: A thick, impenetrable fog that settled in the deepest pits of her stomach, rising and spreading and swirling at a tornado's pace.

 Her vision was going weird. Mike was saying something, but Jade was too caught up in the way everything around her became sharper, the colors brighter. The sea of students was wrapped in mist, colors mixing brilliantly. Jade had forgotten to tell Mike that she could see auras, but now seemed a good time—

 Seemingly out of nowhere, Esme slipped through a crack in the crowd, in the opposite direction of everyone else. Her silver-gray eyes were bright, almost glowing; Jade suspected it had something to do with her enhanced vision.

 Mike's arm tightened painfully around Jade's shoulders when Esme strode directly toward them, only to turn sharply on her heels beside them. Her vibrant green sweater brushed Jade's arm, and despite her magical warmth and her oversized hoodie, Jade felt how cold she was. Her sense of touch must have shot through the roof as well.

 "Hi, Jade," chirped Esme, greeting her with a perfect smile. "Mike."

 "Esmeralda," he spat, only increasing Jade's discomfort.

 Esme has some nerve: Jade could give her that. She had kissed the both of the people she now greeted, knowing how close they were with her boyfriend. Possessing absolutely no shame. Admittedly, Esme had used the excuse with Jade that she had been drunk, but if that had been the case, she controlled herself excellently—no slurring or stumbling, and she had driven as well as she had before the party.