Prologue

The first time I killed someone, I was too young to know my multiplication tables.

Elder Hajime had appeared at the door of the schoolhouse. Like usual, I was reading my favorite picture book: a collection of old legends. I liked it because one of the legends was about me. I would read it over and over again. I had it memorized before I could even read the words on the page.

"High Priestess," he called. "It's time for your lesson."

Even when I was six, I was different. The other kids knew it, too. I doubt they understood what I was, because I know I didn't know my destiny, either. But still, when it came to games, I was the kid picked last. I was the kid left alone, reading the same book of fables, not fully understanding what they thought I was.

But six year old me never questioned Hajime, or any of the elders. So I put my book back, and followed Hajime out of the schoolhouse, onto the horse drawn carriage in front of me.

"Today is a very special day, High Priestess," he told me. "Remember what we've been practicing?"

"Yes, Elder. Can I wear my pretty dress?"

"Yes, High Priestess," he answered. "You're going to perform in front of everyone. You want to look your best."

We arrived at The Compound. The armed knights, a common occurrence in my daily life, waved us through when they saw me with a bow. We entered the stoned walls and arrived at the place I called home. 

Elder Letja was waiting for me. "Hello, my child. Hajime has told me that you have been practicing very hard."

"Yes! I've been doing really good with my dancing." I smiled as she brought me to my chambers.

I chattered meaninglessly as Elder Letja helped me into my dress. It was far too big for me- the extending far below my feet.

"Elder, I'll trip if I perform in this," I complained.

"No, you won't, as you are gifted, my child," she said. 

"Isn't there a smaller size?" I asked as she pulled the top piece over my head. It did not conform to my childish figure at all, hanging awkwardly. "Like this look like it's for a grown up."

"I will strap the back up, no worries, my child." I felt the chest piece tighten. I must have looked ridiculous, wearing an outfit that was meant for when I was a decade older. Like a child pretending to be a grown up in play.

She braided my hair back, and finished with a tiara.

"I look like a princess!" I exclaimed, looking in the mirror.

"You are far more important than that, my child," she answered, patting my head as she always did. "Now, follow me. Remember to listen to what we say. You must obey."

"I understand," I smiled happily. It was the last smile of my childhood. "Wait, we're going downstairs? I'm not allowed down there."

"It is a special place. You can only come down here when Elder Hajime or I accompany you. Do you understand?"

I nodded as we descended the spiral staircase. The lower we got, the more the feeling of unease settled in my stomach.

"Letja, I'm scared," I whispered.

"You have nothing to be scared of," Elder Letja said. She grasped my hand, and held it gently. "Because this is your destiny."

I found that comforting. I had always been told this "destiny" of mine was a happy thing. So, I smiled and went along.

We entered a room, with a round stage in the center. Seated around, were people I did not know.

Immediately, they turned and knelt in my presence. 

"The Exalted One, we have awaited you."

Confused, especially at the unison of their voices, I ducked behind Elder Letja.

"Nina, it's okay," she said softly. "Just pretend they aren't here. It's just you, me and Elder Hajime. Now, get on the stage and assume your stance."

I hesitated.

"Everything will be alright. You trust me, right?" 

I nodded slowly, and and walked to the stage. I stepped on it, and faced the people I did not know.

"Bring him out," Letja ordered.

Two knights rose, and disappeared behind a door I hadn't seen before. Within moments, they returned.

A young man was dragged out in chains. He was gagged, covered with bruises and scrapes.

"Pay your respects to the Exalted One," the knights ordered as he was brought to the foot of the stage.

The man looked up at me. His eyes pierced through my soul. There was pain. Torture. Suffering. Words I didn't know back then. 

"Exalted One, this is who you will focus your dance on. Begin when ready."

"La quen ya mi no," I said.

I didn't understand what those words meant.

I didn't understand what that dance meant. 

I just wanted to be a princess in my pretty dress and tiara.

I continued chanting as I moved about the stage. Like Letja said, I didn't trip on the too long dress. I could feel something coursing through my veins. Something strong. Something... alive.

It was feeling I'd soon become familiar with. The strength of the magic that coursed through my veins was part of me- as much as part of me as my flesh.

It was... it was fun! It felt so fun! I danced with more vigor. I leapt and chanted as my smile grew. I had done this dance a thousand times without the chant- was it the power of these words that gave me this feeling?

And then, I finished, my arms above my head.

But... but then...

I hesitated to remember even now. It was not a thing any human, let alone a child, should have seen.

The man's face was twisted in agony. He was screaming- I hadn't noticed in my bliss of dancing. His body writhed in pain as his skin ripped apart at the seams. His eyes bulged as he aged a thousand years in the span of seconds. Blood seeped out of the orifices in his face.

His face just wanted mercy.

I didn't remember much after that. Letja later told me I fainted. She said it was because of the exhaustion. 

That was the first time I questioned my destiny. And it would not be the last. 

A/N: Hi! Hope you enjoyed this! New story idea I came up with and am currently working out the kinks of. Leave a comment, and a vote if you enjoyed!