Chapter One

Several years later

The Elders called them guards. To guard me from potential danger, they said. But it was really to guard against me sneaking off.

That's why I had to improvise. I was technically forbidden against using magic unless during a ceremony, but if they never noticed I did, then I wouldn't be punished.

I peered through the keyhole, at the two guards outside of my chambers. I whispered the ancient words, barely audible, as I lifted my hands in a circle.

They froze mid breath, almost as if death took grip of their souls. I opened the door ajar, and slipped out. Their eyes were open, and still full of vigor and life. I sighed in relief. Magic wasn't something to take lightly- one misstep and they'd age a thousand years in the span of heartbeats.

I shuddered at the thought, trying to forget the images burned into my mind.

I pulled the hood over my hair. I had left my jewelry back in my room, and with this plain cloak, I looked like an average, ordinary sixteen year old. 

Slipping out of the window at the end of the corridor, I felt the soft grass of early spring grasping at my barefoot toes. I took a deep breath of the crisp, clear air, stretching my arms. I glanced back into the castle, and took a bow before darting out of sight. It was cruel to leave the guards frozen like that.

I made my way down to the beach below. The sand was cool, almost calm. The tide was out, so I walked through the few inches of water into the exposed sandbar. 

I listened to the sounds of the waves, lapping at my feet. I saw the glistening scales of the minnows, darting about the shallows. Tips of red coral peeked out of the low tide and into the late night sky. 

And I listened to the rhythm of the ocean. I always felt like the ocean was the physical manifestation of time itself. It always went on. It couldn't be stopped.

Or shouldn't be, that is.

The stars in the sky glistened. I saw the constellation of Kalfura'e. I whispered a prayer to the deity of flowers, thanking Her for giving us a warm spring. I then took out the music box from my pocket, and set it down on the sand.

The tiny fairy danced as the soft, delicate notes played. I took a deep breath. When I exhaled, I forgot everything.

I forgot I was the High Priestess. I forgot that I had a larger than life destiny.

I forgot I was anything but a speck in the dance of time.

My body moved without thinking. I danced across the sand. No magic. No one watching. Nothing at all. Just me, and the world before me. 

I danced to the simple rhythm of the music box, its music filling my head.

I didn't know how long I danced. I didn't know when I started to cry, but eventually, I was on my knees. 

Why was I crying? I wasn't sad. I tried wiping the tears from my eyes, but more followed with every blink.

I laid down on my back, as if I was sinking into this pale white, cool, tranquil sand. I hadn't cried in years.

In fact, the last time I cried was after the first Ceremony. I was a mess. In shock.  And in fear of what I had just done. 

Everybody was so confused as to why I was crying. "You're a very special person, Nina," Elder Letja had said, stroking my head. "You are the savior to our people. There's no reason to cry."

Yeah, how was tricking a first grader into killing someone a bad thing?

It was one of those times I wished I was someone else entirely. I stared up into the stars above as tears slipped down, silently as a mouse now.