My Sunflower

Ness

I step outside and breathe in the fresh, chilly, morning air. The ground is still damp from last night's rain, and it creates a calm atmosphere. I smile out of pure relaxation. It's not always that I get moments all to myself. Especially ones as relaxing as this.

I look around the small backyard. There's a few flowers growing at the edges of the undercover area. The lawn is barren, but still a nice shade of green. The fences have flowers and plants growing up them, making the backyard prettier. At the end of the lawn is a small garden bed.

In the garden bed are many flowers. Red flowers, purple flowers, white flowers... But, the most noticeable flower there is a sunflower. My sunflower.

I smile at nothing in particular. The sunflower makes me feel safe. When I see it, standing strong and tall, it makes me stand up, strong and tall. Even if I'm a little bit on the shorter side.

I've grown this sunflower for three years. I don't know how it's actually still alive. I don't know how long it's meant to be alive for, either. I don't know how it's so strong, either. It's really inspirational.

I remember the day we bought the sunflower seeds, actually. It's very fuzzy, but I still remember it.

"Mom!" I called out, holding up the packet of seeds. "Can I grow a sunflower? I promise to take care of it!"

Mom laughed. "Of course you can, honey. But only if you promise promise to take care of it."

"Yay!" I grinned, tossing the seeds in the shopping cart.

I felt... Drawn to them. Like they were calling out to everybody, but I was the only one that could hear them. I don't know why, but I really wanted them.

I planted them all at once, in a row. I treated them all the same. But one by one they started to die. One was eaten by bugs, another was destroyed by crows, King accidentally trampled another. One was snapped by the wind. Another died mysteriously while I was adventuring to trounce Giygas. Then, there's the last one.

Stronger than all the others, but has seen some shit. It's a miracle it's still alive. All of its kind has perished, but this one has pushed through all of the obstacles. This feels like a metaphor for someone.

I brush my hand against the sunflower's large petals. I hope that whoever this applies to is doing okay. They... Probably are. They're strong. Resilient. They don't get knocked over as easily as others. I'm rooting for 'em.

I'm gonna work my ass off to keep this sunflower alive.

This might need some explanation, but it also might not?

I'm sure that like a few readers can relate to this, but it's also meant to be about Lucas?

He's been through some shit. But, he's still up. So, uh, yeah...

It's short, but I think that short ones that are made faster are good substitutes for slow, long ones.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)