Snowfall

Lucas

I walk through the mountains as snowflakes fall and cake the grass with a cold tint of white. I thrust my hands into my jumper pockets to keep them warm, and huff out a cloud of steam for fun.

The last time I saw snow was in Nowhere Islands, and I was barely in it for even an hour, so the experience barely counts. But in Eagleland, apparently it snows for a month or so every year, which is... Okay, I guess. I don't hate snow, but I wouldn't want to be in it constantly.

I close my eyes and walk in silence, the only sound being snow crunching under my feet, and birds singing far off. When I reopen my eyes, I'm standing in front of a tree I must've nearly walked into. Oops. I correct my path and continue up the mountain in an attempt to reach the top. The view from there must be amazing right now.

I bounce up some rocks (nearly falling down), and go up a natural ramp. As I circle around the peak to climb the strangely shaped mountain, I spot a hat, lying in the snow.

I hesitate before bounding over to it and picking it up, examining it. It's red, with a blue brim. There's a name on the tag in it, but it's mostly faded away. I can only just barely read the first letter, which is an N.

I keep the hat safe in my jumper pocket in case somebody comes up looking for it, and sit on the edge of the peak, where I can see the whole town.

The drop is about two metres onto that natural ramp from earlier, so if I manage to fall it's not that big of a deal. The worst thing would probably be a mouthful of snow.

I was right about the view. It looks amazing. The sun is beginning to set, and all of the Christmas lights are on. The rooves and roads have snow on them, and it looks like someone threw a fluffy white blanket over the town and then spilled a tub of glitter over it.

After a few minutes of trying to spot specific people wandering around the town, I hear the sound of snow crunching. I see someone to up the natural ramp, and they see me too.

"Hello." He says, giving a small wave.

"Hi," I say, reaching into my pocket and pulling out the hat. "You looking for a hat?"

"Yeah, I am. You found it up here?" He asks, holding out his hand for me to pass it down. I drop from my spot and land beside him, handing him the hat.

"Mhm," I say, walking back up the mountain. I don't know why I jumped down. "Just resting in the snow."

"Thanks." He says, walking up with me. "I'm Ness. You are?"

"Lucas." I say with a small smile, holding my hand out for a handshake. He shakes my hand as we make it to the peak.

I resume my spot on the edge as he brushes some snow off of a hemisphere resting on top of the mountain.

I don't realise it stopped snowing until it starts again.

"What were you doing up here?" He asks me.

"Enjoying the snowy view." I tell him.

"That's cool. I come up here a lot."

"Ah. I've been up here a few times. It's nice."

"Yeah. Probably the best place in Onett. You can see all the way to Twoson from here." He says, pointing in the direction of Twoson. Surely enough, you can see the store from here. I'm surprised I never noticed it.

"Wow..." I say, zoning out. Ness comes down and sits beside me.

"How can you be wearing jeans in this cold?" He asks me, snapping me out of it.

"Oh, uh, they're my warmest pants. Besides, the cold doesn't matter much to me."

"Hm. Fair enough, I've trekked through snow in shorts before." He says, holding out his hand. A snowflake lands in it, and he turns his hand upside down to let the snow fall. I smile.

"Will you be here tomorrow?" Ness asks. I think before nodding.

"I don't have anything better to do." I say with a shrug.

"I'll see you then, then. Merry Christmas." He says, giving me a short wave. I wave back.

"Merry Christmas." I say as he begins to make his way down the mountain.

Friendship is a good present for Christmas.

Haha! Merry Christmas, my friends!! I hope you get something pretty cool.

Love ya's