Chapter Three

Chapter Three

Devon

With the rest of the day to kill, I decided to look around the city.  When Lucy and I went last night, I didn’t actually get to see very much, but 11.30am seemed like a good time to go and explore.  Lucy refused to come – she went straight back to our room and slept.  I couldn’t blame her really; I was tired as well but I’d rather look around Cardiff than sleep. 

I followed the path we had taken the previous night, but the sight before me was so different.  The neon lights had been switched off, leaving the city calmer.  However, it was still just as busy, filled with shoppers who looked like camels as they carried multiple shopping bags. 

I walked through a section of the city that was lined with clubs and bars, and made it through to the marina.  I smiled contently as the sea air hit me, and let it take me back to my childhood – I’d only ever been to the beach once, and that was during the holiday to Portugal. 

I sat down on one of the many wooden benches and just watched the sea, and the boats that gently bobbed up and down.  It all looked so peaceful, so serene.  I stayed there until my stomach started to rumble, and checked my phone to see that it was nearly one o clock.  I stood up and decided it was best to go and get some food, so I pulled out the fiver I had in my pocket and hunted for a cheap cafe.  I found a small one not too far away and went in, going straight to the counter.  I stared at the multitude of sandwiches, pastries and cakes...eventually I settled on a tuna sandwich.  I waited for the man behind the counter to turn around, and when he did I realised he wasn’t a man. 

“Hey.” Chase smiled warmly, leaning on the counter. 

“Hi.” I said quietly – I did not expect to see him here, he didn’t strike me as the kind of guy to work in a little cafe. 

“...Are you going to order something or just stand there silently?” He chuckled after I didn’t say anything else.  I rolled my eyes when the cockiness returned. 

“Can I have a tuna sandwich please?” I nodded to the counter.  Chase smiled, slipped on some gloves and pulled out a tuna sandwich and placed it in a bag.

“You like chocolate?” He asked as he rolled up the bag.  I frowned at the question and nodded slowly.  He also picked up a slice of a delicious looking chocolate cake.

“I only ordered the sandwich.” I told him, addressing the mistake.  Chase smiled.

“I know.  It’s on me.” He wrapped the cake up and put it in the bag as well.  “I’m about to take my lunch break, do you want me to show you around the city?” He offered.  I nodded my head as he handed me the bag, happy to now have a tour guide, even if it was a guy who I wasn’t particularly keen on. 

Chase seemed to know his way around the city a lot better than I did, as he led me through the bustling streets.  After about ten minutes of dodging traffic and crowds, we came across a nearly empty beach.  We sat down on the sand and ate our food, watching the waves gently lap at the sand.

“So how long have you been in Cardiff?” I asked him once I’d swallowed my last bite of sandwich.  Chase shrugged.

“Not long, two months maybe.  I wanted to come here early and get a job.” He explained, leaning back on his elbows, watching the ocean.  “You’ve obviously not been here as long.” He chuckled as I rolled my eyes. 

“Oh really?”

“Yeah, I watched you wander up and down the pier aimlessly for about ten minutes before you came into the cafe.  It was quite funny actually.”  He smiled cockily as he chuckled. 

Silence fell again for another five minutes as neither of us knew what to say. 

“So why did you come to university?” I asked, but wanted to slap myself as soon as the words left my mouth.  Stupid question, he obviously wanted to get a degree.  Chase didn’t answer immediately, but instead his face contorted slightly as he hesitated.

“To start over.” He said quietly, his eyes falling to the floor.  For a moment, I thought I saw the cocky facade slip, but he quickly recovered himself and forced a smile. “How about you?”

“Pretty much the same reason.  Get a degree and hopefully a better life.” I said truthfully, slipping my feet out of my sandals and burying them in the warm sand.  “So, the cafe job, how’d that happen?” I quickly changed the subject, which he too seemed thankful for.

“I needed a bit of money, plus my mum has kinda owned it for a few years.” He smiled, running his fingers through his chestnut hair. 

“I thought you said you’ve only been here a few months?” I frowned.  Chase nodded again.

“I have.  I haven’t been living with my mum for a long time, but I didn’t have anywhere else to go.” He shrugged and pulled out a bottle of water.  He offered me some but I declined.  “Does your family live around here?” He asked casually, but those words made my heart ache. 

“I don’t have a family.   My parents are dead.” I told him, my voice barely above a whisper. 

“Oh sh*t, Devon I’m sorry!” He mumbled nervously, not knowing what to say.  I forced a smile and shrugged.

“It’s OK, it’s been thirteen years.” I told him, my gaze dropping to the floor.  I felt him slip his arm around my shoulder and pull me closer, comfortingly.  This peaceful moment was interrupted by a shrill voice that made me jump out of my skin.

“CHAAAAASEEY!” I literally leapt off the ground and spun around to see a girl staggering towards us.  She was attempting to cross the sand in wedged heels, and she wasn’t doing a very good job at keeping her dignity.  When the made it over, she playfully punched Chase and made a pouty face. 

“I went to your cafe but you weren’t there.” She whined, her voice reaching yet another higher pitch.  Well of course he wasn’t there, he’s standing right here!  Chase chuckled and shook his head.

“Yeah, I’m on my lunch break.” He explained, checking his watch, before sighing. “And it looks like that lunch break is just about over.” He stood up and held out his hand to help me up – this was a big mistake because the girl standing in front of me gave me a death glare.  “Oh, I’m sorry, Devon, this is Leona, Leona this is Devon.” He introduced us.  Leona plastered on a convincing smile and shook my hand. 

“It’s great to meet you Devon.” Her voice was far too enthusiastic, verging on hysterical.

“Likewise.” I said quietly.  The three of us started to walk back to the cafe, in an awkward silence.  Leona kept trying to make conversation with Chase but he only responded with a few words each time – she didn’t try to talk to me, which only confused me more.  Had I done something to her?  When we reached the cafe, Chase turned to me.

“I’ll see you tomorrow.” I nodded and started to walk away.  I had made it not twenty metres before I heard the CLIP CLOP CLIP CLOP of heels running to catch up.  Leona stopped in front of me, her smile now completely gone.

“Look, I don’t know what you think you’re doing, but whatever it is, stop.  You and Chase will never work out, you don’t know what you’re getting yourself into.” She spat venomously.  I blinked in an attempt to process what she just said.

“I’m not interested in Chase, if that’s what you’re worried about.” I said slowly.  Leona’s hard face didn’t waver.

“Good.  Keep it that way.” She told me sharply, before turning on her heel and marching away, leaving me standing there in awe.