secondhand rose, secondhand clothes

"If I fail one more of Duun's tests, my mom is going to kill me!"

"Calm down, Eds."

"Yeah, and I'm sure there is going to be extra credit."

"Think again, Beverly. God, I can't believe this is happening to me."

Eddie Kaspbrak slams his locker door shut and looks at Beverly Marsh to his right and Richie Tozier to his left. Both of them lean against blue lockers. The hallway of Derry High School is flooded with students, all desperate to get home and sleep or party all weekend.

"Eddie!" A voice says from down the hall. The three turn to face Stuttering Bill Denbrough, who has Mike Hanlon and Stan Uris in tow. Bill's hands are in his pockets.

"What?" Eddie asks, tucking his thumbs underneath his backpack straps and looking up at the taller boy.

"Wh-what'd you get on Duh-Duh-Duun's t-test?" Bill asks. He has the same frantic and angry look on his face. Mike watches the flow of students, probably already having heard whatever Bill has to say about the matter.

"Fucking thirty-four! How the fuck does that even happen?" Eddie whines, stomping a Nike-sneakered foot on the floor.

"Ye-Yeah, I got a for-fort-forty," Bill sighs, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"Hey guys!" the cheery voice of Ben Hanscom's says from outside of the circle. Richie steps aside to let him in, then leans an elbow on his shoulder.

Eddie completely ignores the kind greeting, too blinded by his anger towards Mrs. Duun and her stupid environmental biology class.

"Let's just go," Bev suggests, not enjoying the angry feeling in the air between everyone.

"Nah," Richie says, raking a hand through his mess of hair, "I gotta work."

Eddie and Stan both make a scoffing sound of some sort as they all begin walking towards the exit of the school.

"You mean to mess around and annoy customers?" Eddie retorts.

Stan slaps the back of his hands against Richie and Eddie's shoulders and says, "Yeah, I'm sure every customer wants to hear 'Secondhand Rose, Secondhand Clothes wishes yah a real noice welcome suh, a real noice welcome indeed' when they come in."

"My New York accent is better than that, Stanley," Richie debates, pushing his glasses further up the bridge of his nose.

"Nope," Mike adds, "and I gotta work too, sorry guys. I have to figure out why none of the flowers are growing in the garden."

"No worries," Bill says, "I hav-have to drive Guh-Guh-George to baseball practice."

"I want to come," Stanley says immediately.

Richie perks up and sees this as his time to get back. "I'm Stanley Uris and I play baseball! I'm Stanley Uris and they call me Fleet-Feet because-"

"Be-Beep Beep, Ruh- Richie," Bill says, slugging Richie's shoulder. After all these years, Richie still never knows when to shut the hell up, Bill thinks.

"Beep beep your fuckin' ass, Big Bill."

Ben works his way up between Bill and Beverly and asks, "Can I come to George's practice too?"

"Shuh-sure," Bill says, "You wah-wanna come Be-Beverly?"

Beverly pushes open the front door of the school and holds it open for the rest of her friends.

"Nope," she says, "I've got to load up the truck for work tomorrow morning. What time do you want me to come to the farm, Mikey?"

Ever since last summer, Beverly has been selling the Hanlon's goods at the Derry Farm Market every Saturday morning. She gets to keep an amount of the proceeds, which is well for her. And she really does enjoy it too. She has always found fun in selling things and convincing people that whatever she has is the best that money could ever buy.