derry's dearest doughnuts

saturday

Ben Hanscom crawls into the passenger seat of Bill's truck and Beverly sits in the back seat, but Ben doesn't see her until he's buckled up and Bill is rolling. Since Beverly doesn't have a car, Bill and some of the others sometimes help her set up for the Farmer's Market nice and early in the morning on a perfectly good Saturday.

It's just, usually, Ben is picked up before Beverly, and Ben is given time to prepare himself for her presence.

"Oh- hi, Beverly," Ben says with a small smile.

"Hi, Ben," she says.

Bill does his best to suppress a small giggle and flicks his eyes up to the rearview mirror. Beverly has a pink tint to her cheeks and Bill doesn't think that it is the blush she applies along with her makeup in the mornings.

"Will all of us be there?" Ben asks, drumming his hands on his jean-clad knees.

Bill nods and Ben looks down his friend's long, thin body. His knuckles are white against the thin steering wheel and Ben frowns.

"Billy, you don't have to do it all the time. Not around us, at least," Ben says. Bill looks at him from the corners of his eyes.

Beverly looks up too and noticed the tell-tale signs that Bill has his "mind-wall" up and armed. However, keeping it up comes with a high use of his energy and it's known to knock Bill out in his classes quite often. It drains him so quickly.

"Yeah, Big Bill, you'll be out by noon if you keep it up," Bev adds.

Bill sighs and makes a left turn.

His entire body relaxes and Beverly images a small wall tumbling to the ground inside Bill's mind.

Bill turns on the radio and relaxes with his thoughts, as well as Beverly's and Ben's... and...

"Ruh-Richie?"

"Thank God, that was diffi- OW!"

Beverly slaps Richie's thin arm beside her and he curls back.

"Do-Don't scare us like th-that, Ruh-Richie!" Bill scolds, looking at the tall boy in his rearview mirror.

"Is there not any way you can- I don't know-" Beverly says.

"-tell you that I'm Coming In Hot? No. It just kinda happens," Richie says, "You've been asking me this since the fifth grade and the answer is still no."

Bill rolls his eyes and his speed slows as he pulls into the alleyway where Mike waits with the truck full of goods for this week's booth. Mike looks down at his watch.

Six thirty a-m. On the dot, just like always.

Ben and Bill hop out of the car and Beverly crawls out after them. Richie simply blips out again, then reappears outside of the truck, leaning against Mike's truck now.

The lot of them simply rolls their eyes. Showoff.

"Let's get ready, yeah?" Mike suggests, pocketing the rock he was previously tossing up in the air and catching while waiting for the others to arrive.

Everyone nods and begins unloading Mike's truck and dragging their things out to the booth that the Hanlon's rent for the Market.

By the looks of the load, today is mostly peaches and many different types of apples, as well as a good selection of greens.

Beverly smiles. It'll be a good selling day, she thinks to herself.

The five of them finish setting up as well as the many other sellers of Derry. Some sold knitted goods, some sold breakfast foods, and The Loser's Club's personal favorite: Derry's Dearest Doughnuts.