Chapter 1

The forest was quiet. Birds were tucked in safely into their nests for the evening. The wolves of the woodland that normally stalked the night were in their dens, hoping not be seen by a mightier predator. You would think all was quiet, where not even the owl made noise.

A blur passes, blonde strands of hair shining in the moonlight, making it seem as though it was finely spun silver. Gold embroidery on his clothing glowing against the night black cloth. Silver eyes were narrow, concentrated, full of purpose. Heavy, leather boots made no sound as his inhuman speed blurred the woods around him. He was practiced, one would notice, at moving at such speeds.

His destination was in view now, towering stone walls finally splitting the trees. They knew he was coming, however, and the ancient, wooden drawbridge started to close with the groaning of hinges and wheels. His eyes narrowed only further, determination set in his pale face as he pushed himself only faster. He jumped, his boots landing on creaking wood and slid into the entrance. There was only a little more than needed to fit through as he slid down the rough, weather-worn oak. Reaching the ground, he stood and was faced with the maw of a giant mutt.

The wolven monster had a snout full of bared, razer-sharp teeth. Gray fur that was matted with dirt and grime stretched over large muscles, a low growl rumbling in it chest. Blood-red eyes stared unblinkingly at the intruder having to look down at the man's six foot frame. Before the large wolf knew what was going on, a silver blade was through it's chest cavity.

"Sorry, but your breath was awful."

With an anguish cry, the werewolf ignited into flames, the blessed silver burning it's cursed blood leaving only ashes to be scattered by the winds. With a swipe of his sword, the black blood of his enemy was scattered in a crescent on the gravel. He sheathed his sword at his hip, handsome face as cold as stone. High cheekbones and strong jaw were set as he closed his eyes, only to open them not a second later to peer at the castle before him.

Stone walls were covered in vines and moss, telling of age and neglectance. The smell of monsters and death floated about, so strong even a human could smell the stench of doom. Windows were sealed along tall towers, the mighty pillars standing so high it could be seen touching the clouds. The dhampir sighed in sadness, his home looking almost distraught without the love of it's master. The walls sang his praises as he walked on, opening the heavy door at the front of the palace. Swiftly, it shut itself behind him, locking him inside the long hall.

Drapes of crimson were hung on the windows, some of them open as a light drizzle began outside. The unlit candles did nothing to the darkness that clung to the walls like long-apart lovers as the vampire blinked and everything was clear as day. The long hallway was lit only by the windows, as much as it could as the rain picked up. Happy that he had gotten inside before the running water had hit him, he moved on, feet sliding confidently along old, marble tiles.

Another of the mangy beast that had attacked him outside the walls lunged at him, claws poised to sink into the soft flesh of the half-breed. He was swift to follow, sliding under the wolf's lunge to slice it's soft underbelly with his blessed silver blade. Black blood gushed as organs splatted in floor before igniting into purifying flames. He had no time to clean his blade this time, however, for he swiftly dodged another werewolf who had aimed at his head with a jaw of jagged bone.

Quickly dealing with it, he walked on. The candles hanging on the walls burst to life, cursed blue flames lighting the walls. A tile cracked under the dhampir's feet, making him jump back. The smell of rotting flesh assaulted his nose as torn muscles of the long dead moved on their own, trying to catch him in their grip. He grunted as he landed, more out of annoyance than actual physical exertion.

The ghoul's rotting flesh was covered in maggots that ate away at what was left of it, a shredded tunic wrapped around it's frame loosely, torn from the years of being undead. The vampire spun, blade shining in the candlelight as he decapitated the ghoul. It groaned, falling to ashes on the floor. More of it's brethren unearthed themselves, uncoordinated limbs flopping around aimlessly, trying get him in their clutches. He moved around them, slaying countless with his blade. Screeches filled the night as he made it the end of the hall of monsters.

Closing the iron-supported wooden door, he narrowed his eyes as tile gave way to stone. A gaping hole was eroded into the floor, or what was left of it. He looked around, finding a mound of stone in front of him and bats above him, clinging to the stone ceiling. A passage was made in the ceiling, almost daring him to see where it lead. He scowled, remembering how he had ended up like this.

His power was siphoned into objects, crippling him. He had to search the castle for his magic, one step at a time.