Chapter 5

Steeling himself for the battle to come, Alucard walked through the door. As soon as it was at his back, an iron gate closed over it, blocking his path. His eyes narrowed, but he walked forward, jumping down pillar-supported platforms. As soon as he made it to the bottom, he glowered.

"Gaibon, Slogra," Alucard greeted the two beings before him.

   Gaibon was a purple, leathery creature. He had thin arm connected to leather wings, strong legs to help push him off the ground. His large, bulging eyes, staring into Alucard coldly. A row of sharp, shark-like teeth gleamed in the well-lit space of their lair.

   Slogra, who could never be found without her partner in crime, was very dinosaur-like. Three talons held her weapon of  choice, a long spear. Her large beak made her look much like a bird, the hard bone longer than Alucard was tall. Skin with short, tan-green fur was draped over bone, no other flesh there. Long legs made her tower over Alucard though her best friend sat at her shoulders.

   "Alucard, what is your business? Where have you hidden all these years?" Gaibon rumbled, a low growl in his chest.

   "Death claimed you were here to end us," squawked Slogra, gripping her spear a little tighter. 

   "I have come to end my father's rain of terror. If you get in my way, you, to, shall perish," Alucard warned, leather shield ready to defend and short sword ready to pierce flesh.

   "Then it's true, traitor!" Gaibon roared, murder flashing in obsidian eyes.

   "We'll end you here!" Slogra cawed, letting her partner grab her arms and hoist her into the air. Alucard twisted his sword in his hand, readying himself. Slogra pointed her spear strait down, letting her partner aim before dropping her on top of the vampire prince. He swiftly dodged, relying on his speed to let him evade. When she landed, she tugged her spear from where it was embedded into the tiles and aimed it at Alucard. He moved in, dodging her attempt to spear him in a jab. He sliced at her, cutting her hide right under her showing ribcage.

   She squawked as black  blood oozed out of her new wound as Gaimon grabbed her again and flew above his sword. They tried again and again, but the prince was persistent. He was now sporting a few cuts, his breath labored as he pushed himself about. Slogra, on the other hand, was burning in flames triggered by her own death.

   "Slogra! You will regret this, half-breed!" Gaibon roared in anger, his skin and eyes turning a bloody crimson in his rage. Alucard's eyes widened as flame was spat at him from the demon's jaws, the flame hitting his shield, though the heat dazed him. Taking the opportunity, Gaibon snapped at him, catching his sword arm in his jaws.

   Alucard gasped in pain and hit the beast with his shield, which was burned and had slash marks from Slogra's spear. Gaibon grunted, letting his arm go. He flew higher than Alucard could reach, spitting fire at the vampire. Alucard deflected them, either with sword or shield, and waited for the beast to lower itself.

   He didn't have to wait long, though, for Gaibon's anger had reached it's peak. He landed on the ground growling deep in his throat.

   "This is for Slogra!" Fire spilled from his mouth like cannon fire. Alucard, seeing his chance, slid under the line of fire. Approaching the beast before he could turn to him, Alucard buried his swore to the hilt into the monster's chest. Gaibon sputtered, black blood leaving his lips and wound as it filled his lungs. The monster vanished in pits of flame that waited for all monsters.

   Sighing and favoring his bitten and bleeding arm, Alucard walked up to the vial that was sitting innocently on the floor where Gaibon breathed his last. An elixir of life. He picked it up and opened the vial, seeing no harm in healing himself. He drank it swiftly, letting the elixir stitch his wounds together. Gasping for air that evaded him while liquid was running down his throat, he noticed the elixir did nothing for his fatigue, though now he was no longer injured. Finding the corner of the huge room, Alucard summoned his coffin, which melted through the floor to meet him. Sighing happily at the thought of rest, he stepped into the red velvet-lined coffin interior.

   With a clang, Alucard was shut inside, darkness surrounding him with a soft embrace. He joined it happily, falling asleep quickly.