Chapter 7

He sunk lower into the castle, going down stairs and leaping over gaps in the marble. Soon enough, the towers were lined with ledges and odd, humanoid figures sat in weird angles. He approached it cautiously, his instinct telling him it was more than what it seemed. He poked the wood of the puppet, watching as golden strands of 'hair'  swished. The joints looked broken, twisted into angles that it should have never been forced into. It seemed dead, whatever it was.

   He narrowed his eyes at it, and poked at it with his boot. That was a mistake. A wooden hand snapped forward, pulling all it's digits into their correct places, and grabbed his ankle. Alucard retaliated, swing his blade down. He severed it's arm, but not before it knocked him off balance. Before he could stand, he was surrounded by the blonde marionettes. Their faces were flat wood, but they stared at him, watching. A few giggled girlishly, though the sound was twisted and cruel. He stood in the middle of the circle of puppets, Standing still with his blade ready for any who grew too close.

   "Son of Lord Dracula," one giggled, causing Alucard to bristle. "Your so handsome!"

   "It's been so long!" another squealed, "too bad we must end you."

   That started a free-for-all. His blade, though not nearly as long as his favored rapier, made quick work of the wooden dolls as they flung at him, trying to get a piece of him. One got a hold of his wrist and snapped it, a sick crack telling him it was broken. His other arm swung at the blonde, cutting her cleanly in two. Nothing but wood and a dark void inside. He continued his slaughter, receiving a few bruises for his troubles. Alucard braced himself on a wall, sheathing his sword until it was needed again. He favored his snapped wrist, his healing already working on snapping it back into place and mending the bone. His bruises could wait.

   As soon as he could flex it with no pain for his efforts, he pushed off the wall and looked about. Above him were ledges, probably where the rest of the dolls had come from. Something shined on the ceiling, catching Alucard's eye. He leaped from ledge to ledge until he could make it out.

   It was some kind of gem, one that shined much like the Cube of Zoe did, as if it had been soaked in oil. It floated there, in the gap between ledges as if to taunt him with its existence. He leaped off the ledge and snatched it from the air. As he fell, the gem liquidated like its counterpart, but instead of making him drink it, it seem to be content with being absorbed through his skin. He hit the ground, crouching to soften the impact, though he knew a jump like that would not even put a strain on his legs.

   Images and names of creatures he had seen in the castle flashed before his eyes. Gargoyles and hippogriffs flashing in his mind's eye. So the gem, the Spirit Orb, the gems memories corrected him, held information on most of the creatures in the castle, though not how to slay them. He will have to make due with his own wit. He continued downward, thankfully not running into any more of the marionettes. Soon, the dark, black walls turning crimson, tiles of marble under his feet. Candles burned, giving off an abnormal amount of light. He followed the corridor cautiously, his short sword poised and ready. 

   He continued, simply walking down the corridors, looking for prey in the dark beasts of the castle. His hunt wasn't fruitless he found a armored giant armed with a ball-n-chain, Hauling around the iron as though it were nothing. The grim-faced golem -Plate Lord, his new knowledge supplied- spun the iron ball in his hands, letting it whir at his side as it spun in wide circles. Alucard stopped, then quickly leapt to the side to avoid about one hundred pounds of iron that was swung his way. He readied his sword, trying to get close to the giant. It simply whirled the chunk of metal at him, trying to nail him with it. 

   Alucard twirled out of the way, but it knocked him off course. His tsked under his breath, and charged the Plate Lord again. He finally got in its defenses and jabbed at it with his blade. Though it went through the armor, it didn't seem to faze the monster. Alucard had to quickly get away when the Plate Lord swung at him with his unoccupied hand. Why hadn't it died? Alucard saved the question for later and pranced around the heavy ball of iron so it didn't crush him. He had already broke his wrist today, breaking anything else would be just as unpleasant. 

   While Alucard jumped and twirled like a dancer, he was getting closer and closer to the beast. He had already struck it a dozen times, and now Alucard could see it slowing. It was dying and one more should bring it to its knees. He finally got his chance and he closed in, using his speed to enclose on it. He struck its torn armor once more. He watched it fall apart, The heavy metal of both the ball and armor clunking to the floor with heavy thuds. Alucard sighed and got his heavy breathing under control before soldiering on. 

   No farther down the hall and down a set of stairs, Ghosts appeared. Not the specters that people envisioned, but the bones of small creatures lit aflame with unholy fire. They bit and snapped at him, but never came near enough to catch him in their jaws. They knew, he realized, that he was much stronger than they; the bigger predator. He walked calmly though, not bothering with the weak skulls. One got too close, but he didn't flinch. It couldn't even pierce his skin if it tried. 

   He traveled on, going down yet another set of spiral steps to another layer of the Marble Gallery. A winged creature stood there, drool coming from lips that were lapped over with skin. Tusks erupted from its bottom jaw, almost hiding its small, red-ringed yellow eyes. Light gray fur covered it much like a gorilla, leaving its chest and stomach bare of the gray fur. Wings that seemed much to small to carry him lifted  Ctulhu into the air, fire lighting in its mouth. 

   This was going to be a long day.