Starting Off Your Story

✭ STARTING OFF YOUR STORY 

Firstly, you need to ask yourself, what do I enjoy reading?  

Usually what you enjoy reading is also what you enjoy writing, or at least it's that way for me.

For example: I love reading paranormal/fantasy/romance stories, so I made it my mission to incorporate these genres into my works.

The most important thing here is picking a genre that suits you. You may love reading romance but could never imagine yourself writing a romantic story- that's fine! Exploring genres is the perfect way to find what suits you the most and figure out what you enjoy writing; if you don't already.

Secondly, what really helps me is jotting down little plot ideas or characters and going from there. Usually  ideas don't always come at once, don't be angry by this, great things can come from just one tiny idea! 

Bullet pointing is something that I also swear by. Being able to see things clearly right in front of you can help trigger ideas and I find it a lot easier to type my ideas down on PowerPoint or Word, than writing them, because writing them onto paper often takes longer and I fear I will forget my ideas!

Carry a notepad on you at all times. Say you're on the bus to school, work, or in the car on  a boring trip, and a thought pops into your mind and you think to yourself, "That'd be an amazing start to a story! I'll write that down later." 

Yet often later never comes. I am guilty of saying I'll remember an idea and then when it comes to it, not being able to remember it at all. Therefore jotting an idea as soon as its ripe in your mind is key to creating a story. Your ideas have to go somewhere if you plan on writing a story; nobody can read minds (unfortunately.)

Lastly, DON'T BE AFRAID! You're probably thinking, why would I be afraid of a story?

Actually, writing a story is scary, especially if it's your first time doing so. 

Overcoming the fear of failure is vital in creating a story. Being afraid of the power of your creative mind isn't doing anyone any good. 

You may start twenty stories, yet only end up finishing one. One is better than none, am I right? And those nineteen other stories haven't gone to waste. That character you wrote about in Book Three may be taken into a newer story you're working on two years down the line. All of your planning and writing is helping you develop as a writer. Any experience is better than no experience!

 Any experience is better than no experience!