Chapter 3

TUCKERS POV:

When I had told Ellie about the safe zone in Texas I was really hoping she would want to come with me, I mean who wouldn't want to at least try? Even though I was trying to act tough, being alone terrified me.

"How about that one?" Ellie asked, pointing to a nice looking silver Camry. I stopped the car and put it in park. Ellie jumped out beside me and we went to inspect the car.

The car was nice. Nice enough for me to be able to make it to Texas from California in it. Ellie agreed that it was good and jumped into the drivers seat, messing around underneath the steering wheel.

"What are you doing?" I asked. "Hot wiring," I hear faintly from her as she dug into a bunch of wires. I shook my head, this girl was awesome.

Her head popped out a minute later. "Done?" I asked. "No, just wondering why you're staring at me when you should be splitting up the supplies and loading up this car. I put up my hands and walked backwards away from her chuckling. "Haha okay boss."

I jogged over to the truck and started grabbing some of the food and water from the back and transferring it to the back of the Camry. Ellie was done a while later and helped me with the last few things. "Thanks," I mumbled.

She looked at me weirdly. "What's wrong with you? You look like a fat kid who just dropped their icecream cone." I grinned at the lovely image she had just put into my mind. "Just worried about leaving you." "Me?" She scoffed, "I can take care of myself."

"That's not it, something else is wrong," she said. It's like she could read my mind. We had known each other for a day and she could already tell when something was wrong with me, and when I was lying about what exactly was wrong with me.

"You're right, I'm worried about myself. I don't want to be alone." She gave me a weird look before walking towards the car. Before she got there she turned around a yelled, "I'm not moving the supplies again, you have to put them into the truck from the Camry." Then she jumped into the trucks drivers seat.

I grinned and started unloading the car.

////

"Dude what should we do?" My roommate asked.

"It's probably nothing, everything will blow over," I replied.

Zach looked doubtful. Recently there had been an increase in human attacks. The government had started safe zones but wouldn't tell us why, probably just them overreacting over some terrorist threats.

"I think I'm gonna miss a few classes and go up to my moms," Zach told me, "you can come if you want."

I rolled my eyes at his offer. The only reason he was asking me to come was because he knew I didn't have any family of my own. My dad was a deadbeat and my mom had died of cancer last year. And even before she died we weren't close to her family at all, and I was an only child.

"I think I'll stay here," I replied.

That was the last conversation I ever had with him.

///

I woke up in the truck due to it bouncing on some pot holed filled road. Ellie was still behind the wheel.

"How long was I out?" I groaned, stretching my arms out over my head.

"About two hours, you were moving around a lot. Bad dream?" She asked.

"Something like that."

"Well I'm glad you woke up," she said nodding her head in the direction we were driving.

Up ahead was a small town, with hundreds of zombies milling around. "There isn't a road going around it, we have to go straight through," she said.