Part 23: "The Zodiac At Zero Hour"

"GIVE IT TO ME! MINE... MORE... MUST HAVE IT... MUST HAVE MORE..."

The shrill tones railed in her ears as she watched her parents' bodies crumple... and then it was over.

Zayra tore away from Kaidan.

"What have you done?" She rasped. "What did you do to me?"

Kaidan looked only slightly less stunned than she was. "Your memories—" he stammered. "No!" Zayra shrieked. "Those weren't mine! It cannot be! You did this to me!" She felt the urge climbing within her; every impulse screamed to get away from Kaidan and his strange visions, to get away from them all.

She ran now, through archways and down halls, to the farthest reach of the palace grounds. When she finally stopped, she stood at the edge of a large expanse of empty, unkempt cages, of all different sizes. A dilapidated sign overhead displayed the name "ZOO" in stylized lettering.

Her knees buckled and she sank to the ground, sobbing, as the grey ash from Javira's flaming tree roots rained down. Let it burn, let the whole castle burn! Her entire life had been manipulated by powerful beings from the very start. She didn't belong here—Zayra began to wonder if she really belonged anywhere at all. >>>>>>>>

Back in the courtyard, Beren saw Zayra dash away as Javira joined the fight against Damaris the Phoenix, under the influence of Troy.

"Beren?" Azelie's voice called to him. "Are you safe? Where are you?"

"I am safe!" He thought in reply. "I am shielded at the far end of the courtyard. No one has found me yet."

"The castle stands empty, young king," she said. "Jade would appreciate being restored again, if you can find the chance."

Beren surveyed the fight in the courtyard. Erlis was hard-pressed to keep Damaris at bay, and without Zayra to enthrall her, Denahlia was back to her mercenary habits, seeing and reacting in astonishing ways to the attacks mounted against her. It was all Javira could do to keep her contained with tree roots. Meanwhile Edri attempted to mobilize what remained of the castle garrison to take down the phoenix, at the same time Velora the wolf worried the unprepared troops with her targeted, stealthy attacks.

"I don't think I can find a way," he thought to Azelie.

A moment later, the drawbridge tumbled down, and although Damaris sent a fireball at it, a lone figure zipped through the flames on horseback: Sir Justin, the faithful captain. He sent a few soldiers flying, and he looked around until he met Beren's gaze. Touching his forehead in respect, he gestured toward the castle doors.

"Here I come!" Beren thought as he ducked his head and charged for the doorway.

A fireball zinged over his head, singing part of his tunic and smashing into the wall beside him, but Beren raised his hands and enveloped himself in a sphere of water. The ambient flames struck the water and hissed, creating a cloud of vapor surrounding him and obscuring his vision so that as he approached the castle doors, his boot caught on something and he stumbled.

He recognized the midnight-blue jacket and the tousled, dark hair. He forgot all about getting to the throne room as he reached toward his brother.

"Jaran!" His brother's face was as grey as the stones, and Beren couldn't feel breath coming from his nose and mouth.

Azelie's voice slipped into his mind. "Beren, you can do nothing for him, especially if you are dead."

"But—"

"Get to the throne, your highness." She didn't plead or berate him, she only entreated him calmly.