Chapter 15-The Mutt's Trail

It was like being embraced by snow.

It was cold, but would melt under my touch to match my temperature. Its touch was light, like the careless rustle of a breeze.

"You can stay."

The voice was soft like velvet and calmer than a frozen lake. There was a hint of something in its inflection. It might've been hope, like waiting for a saving grace. It might've been yearning; the quiet admiration. Or it might've been madness; the desperation that fueled everything. My muddled mind couldn't identify the emotion. Instead it prompted me to snuggle into the warming snow.

"So show me more interesting things, why don't you?"

Blearily opening my eyes, I awoke from my slumber and wondered why there was a piano in my bedroom. My bedroom did not have a piano.

Too lazy to perform any laborious exercise, I took stock of my situation by merely turning my head. I was still in the living room, probably having fallen asleep on the piano bench. I would've applauded myself for retaining my sitting position while unconscious. However the reason for my success seemed to be due to Kiraize, judging by his arm holding my waist to keep me in place.

Quietly, I scrutinized Kiraize while he slept. For once, he didn't have that sharpness, as if he were a tense blade ready to strike at a moment's notice. He didn't have that pride that forced him to straighten his spine and stare at people with those piercing eyes.

Instead he looked tired. His scarred lips were turned down into a slight frown, as if he were grimacing in ghostly pain. And now that I was close enough, I could see the shadows of exhaustion that rested underneath his closed eyes.

At that moment, it occurred to me that I had never seen Kiraize sleep before. Subconsciously, I had probably accepted the conjecture that mermaids didn't need to sleep, since they were mystical and powerful existences. But even though I now know the truth, this didn't feel like the kind of exhaustion that a good night's rest could heal, but something that went a bit deeper. Something that was a bit more permanent.

Finally, my brain decided to crash my enlightenment with important and obvious information about my current situation. My back stiffened, as if a knife were crawling up the length of my spine. I was made distinctly aware of Kiraize's arm and hand on my hip, as if they were searing their presence onto my skin. There was a pervasive feeling of aversion and comfort linking and battling within my mind. I felt very awkward in his arms but at the same time it was actually pretty comfy and warm.

Eventually embarrassed modesty overruled lazy comfort, and I tried to shimmy out of Kiraize's hold. It felt as though I were balancing blocks atop my head while I performed the action; I moved carefully and at a nearly nonexistent crawl.

Hindsight proved that I should've thrown caution to the wind and sprinted away just as fast. His breathing just slightly changed its rhythm, but it was enough to inform me of his awakened state of mind. I froze, my eyesight darting to Kiraize to gauge his reaction. He was gazing dazedly at me with heavy eyes, as if he simply couldn't be bothered to fully open them.

I remained as stiff and unresponsive as a rock while he used a hand to pull me back into his embrace and closer to him. Then, right as his eyes were closing again as if to go back to sleep, he seemed to notice that I was awake.

He blinked, and his gaze flipped from relaxed to sharp awareness. The change was swift and clean, as if his earlier weariness was simply a lie. His eyes were wide with alertness and his lips were wiped clean of his frown in exchange for a slight smile.

He looked away and removed his arm from my waist as if it were the most natural thing to do. Linking his fingers and bringing out his arms in front of himself, he arched his well-defined back to stretch forward. I couldn't help but notice the contours of his taut muscles. He wasn't beefy or anything, but his whole body had this sleekness that rivaled that of a graceful panther.