One

A girl is broken

A girl is broken.
______________
Looking at the mirror did I see a dark hair young girl with dark brown eyes looking back at me. I have been in this place ever since I was born, my mother was just like me an odalisque, but unfortunately she got pregnant with me from one of her clients, which is against the king's rules so he gave her two choices ether have an abortion and live or keep me and lose her life, and her being her selfless self she choose me over her own life. The king let her have me for 6 years not from the goodness of his heart but merely so she can teach me to be an odalisque just like her. In those 6 years she gave me her necklace to remind me of her. It's a beautiful clears crystal wrapped with an old worn out dark brown string with a hamsa hand dangling from it.

As I brushed my hair getting ready for the king, I wore my mother's necklace before my friend and the only girl who helps me in the harem Amal rushes into my room calling out for me."Reena are you ready? It is true that his grace prefers you of all others odalisques but that doesn't save you from his anger" I smiled at her from the mirror before I turn around, she gave me a confused look before saying "Sweetheart I'm about to say something that you might misunderstand, so don't. Why are you smiling? you never do whenever the king calls you"

I got up before I walk towards her and holding her hands "Because it is the last day for me in this place"

"What do you mean?"

"I have saved all my money for this day, I will buy my freedom back. I just need a little bit more and today will be my last" I said smiling at her with eyes full of hope, but hers doesn't have anything but pity. why?

"Oh Reena, sweet Reena" she stroked my hair " What you are thinking can not happen"

"Why? It is what I deserve after all this hard work" I said. She guided me to the the long red velvet couches "Habibti, you cannot buy yourself that is not how it works, the king will never let that happen, he is obsessed about you and not in a good way"

I opened my mouth to speak my mind but before I could I froze in my spot when I saw the king stormed in, smiling when he saw me ready for him, he approached me " You look so beautiful this evening Reena as always, don't worry today I'm not in the mood to sleep with you or anyone for that matter, I just want your company so don't be sad." He smiled at me but I looked down not meeting his eyes . "What is it beautiful Reena?" he asked, stroking my hair. I know I should have hated his touche but he was gentle when he do that and I never felt loved in my life. I don't blame him or anyone, I blame myself, it's all my fault. Everything is my fault

Before I can respond to him I froze in my spot when I saw the men wearing wired clothes that I have not seen in my life stormed in, maniacally when he saw the treasures and the beautiful woman.

The odalisques start running for their life and screaming at the top of their lounges but even after doing all of that and the pleading the strangers didn't show any mercy.

                             ***
We have been sailing to god knows where for 5 days. I have been placed in the same bot as their blond haired leader. He's the tallest and the largest man I have set my eyes on with eyes as clear and as blue as the ocean. With a long blonde braid on the back of his head. I looked down when I realized that I was staring at him.

A beautiful blonde haired woman with a slim body, she'd been clutching ma and another girl the whole journey. I have seen this girl in the market I wouldn't call us friends seeing that her mother hated me for what I did for a living. And also how can we call our self friend when the only thing we know about each other are our names.

People start shouting and pointing at a land, talking in their language, they kept repeating a word in their sentences, Kattegat.

Upon reaching the coast, they started pulling the people they captured and putting them in a line separating the kids from the women and the old from the young. I was in a line with 3 other young women. Suddenly they grabbed one of the girls that were with me and took her to the nearest table and before anyone could react they cut off her right hand. I gasped, covering my mouth with my hands to prevent any vomit from coming out. Everyone were laughing and dancing with her screams of pain. Tears started to fall when I thought of the awful things they could do to us. The leader who I still don't know the name of crouched down in front of me to get to my level, he cupped my face in his hand. Wiping the tears away.

He said something in his foreign language but all I could respond with is a confused face. He emit a long deep breath before standing up and pushing me to the blonde's arms.

                             ***
We arrived at a small building isolated from the others near the coast where some undone boats are located. The blond woman and she placed her hands on my shoulders then she spoke to the tall creepy man who accompanied her.

They pulled us into a small room with a smaller window, in each corner of the room there are two beds, in the center of the room there is a table with a jar full of clear liquid.

As soon as the man and woman left, Tanaruz tried opening the window but to no avail. "ماذا تفعلين؟" I questioned her action She looked at me like I was mad for even thinking of asking her that kind of question.

"I'm finding a way to get us out of here, have you not notice the girl they amputated her hand for merely looking the wrong way at that boy who can't use his legs, so we are running away before that happen to us or worst"

"I don't want to go away" I confessed as I sat on the bed, testing it softens.

"What do you mean? "

"What I'm saying is that I'm not going back to that place you call home, and the thing is that I was already planning to escape on the same day they attacked but I guess that fate dose not care about my plans" I giggled "And they will not kill us, have you not seen how that woman protected us on the boat? I think she loves us as her own"

"How do you know that? You just met her!"

"Exactly, I just met her and she showed me nothing but love, something that I have never felt or know in my life"

Every time I see a child with their mother I can't help but feel jealous of them, of their life and of their happiness. And it hurt when I realized that I will not have what they do.

________________

ماذا تفعلين؟ - What are you doing?

I hope you liked it I know it's a shitty chapter and kinda short but I promise the next one will be longer and hopefully better.
Love,
Deema