ghana antics ; part two

" BLACK is ubiquitous.
   BLACK is the absorption of all light.
   BLACK is the evidence of devine presence. "

- anonymous.

CHAPTER TWO.

When I was younger I used to think that I was ugly because I was dark, and Daniel was light skinned and everybody at school loved light skinned girls or people. I often thought I was ugly, and shamed myself for being dark. I blamed my mother, I blamed my father for not being light enough. I blamed god, I blamed everybody. I hated being half-Ghanaian I hated everything about me. Until I learned to love myself.

"Oh, my babies!" My grandmother said nearly squishing us between her breasts and her arm, kissing my forehead and then Daniels she smiled, her eyes glimmered as if she was gonna cry. She examined Daniel first and I stood back smiling, as they had their little moment. "You growin' up to be so handsome!" She exclaimed placing her hand on her hip. "Ol' yella' self."

As usual Daniel got cocky, his hands rubbing down his chest as he cockily smirked shrugging, "ya' know grandma, just some slight." He said waving it off, as if it was nothing. I rolled my eyes at him chuckling as I did so, and she turned her attention to me.

I always got nervous under my grandmas gaze, it felt so piercing, but so sweet and positive. "And you," She breathed out, a soft genuine smile graced her lips as she sized me up, "you're so beautiful, just like I remember, just like your mother."

I smiled, my mother was beautiful to me, she'd always be beautiful to me. I stood back to snap a picture of her, she didn't mind though.

"Whatchu' cookin' up in hea' grandma?" Daniel asked draping his arm over her shoulders as we followed her into the kitchen, it was an unfamiliar aroma but it smelt godly.

"Oh nothin'," she smiled waving him off, as we stepped into her well decorated kitchen, the wallpaper had turned yellow from aging, but it made everything more authentic and appreciative, the pink flowers on it stood out more than anything, as they were big roses, she had ceramic tiles, and a table was placed next to the two huge windows which had white sheer curtains shielding them, I snapped a picture, "im just preparing the jollof rice."

"Jollof rice?" I regurgitated as a question. I remember mama telling us stories about grandmas jollof rice, and how it was the best thing she's ever tasted. She used to say that it was probably the best thing grandma had ever made. I would probably beg to differ.

"When you taste it you'll thank me!" She said with much confidence as she gave me a wink, and a hip bump. I smiled at my grandma's antics.

"I bet I will too," Daniel said before pulling his phone out from his back-pocket, probably doing his streaks or something, "until then though, y'all got a court out here?"

Grandma nodded a smile still on her face, I guess she was happy for real that we was here. "Right around the corner." She nodded her head forward.

"Aight grandma, you mind if I get my basketball and go?" He asked respectively waiting on her response as she skillfully chopped the tomatoes I paid close attention as she did so.

She shook her head as he gave her a kiss on the cheek, her smile had speed even wider if that was possible. "Be careful baby."

"Always," He muttered before nudging my head and then exiting out of the kitchen before I could retaliate. Seconds later we heard the screen door close.

"Grandma?" I mumbled flipping through the gallery of my camera.

"Hm?" She hummed, she had now made her way to another tomato.