Chapter 2

|| Josh ||

He walks, pulling her beside him, hand gripping her arm so that she will not run away. Ahead of them, the night is dark, sky clear, and stars gleam at them from above. He doesn't stop to stare at them like he usually does because he has better things to be getting on with.

They have been walking for a while now; first from the Highlands and then through every Scottish town. He had been the one in charge of getting them a place to stay. He pleaded with hotels, bars and he even asked for the barn.

Now he has his eyes on the road ahead, brown eyes illuminating with every streetlight they pass. Some say they are the colour of chocolate, rich and sweet. But, as some soon find out, they are deadly in their own right.

He pulls to a stop. The girl stops with him, finally stopping the struggle. He ignores her, gazing at the sign ahead of them. A hotel. Good, that will keep them alive for the rest of the night.

He enters, yanking the girl behind him. The receptionist looks him up and down, taking in his filthy clothes and the ragged child in his grip.

"We want a place to stay," says the boy. "And we want one quickly."

The receptionist's eyes flicker to her computer. "Just one room?"

"Yeah." The boy looks down at the young girl beside him. "Two beds, though."

The receptionist does some clicking. She then tells him the amount and he swallows, knowing that the tiny amount of coins in his pocket are not enough. Not if they want breakfast tomorrow.

"I'm sorry," he says quickly. "But we don't have enough money."

The receptionist gives him a stare. "Well you can leave, then."

The boy clenches his jaw, knowing fully well that this would happen. But he has a way around this, a method that he's used every single time.

He leans in towards her, searching her eyes. Then, in a low voice, husky and deep, he says, "Oh, come on. Just this once?"

The receptionist begins to squirm. He pulls back, almost smiling, but he stops himself just in time.

"I'll see what I can do," the receptionist manages.

Now he allows himself to smile; a kind one. One, he knows, that will melt her heart. If he listens out enough, he can almost hear her sigh and hear the words in her head. Such beautiful eyes.

She produces him with a key and tells him the directions. He smiles again, thanks her in the politest way he can, and heads off towards the lifts.

It's only when he's halfway there that the receptionist calls, "Oh, and what's your name?"

He turns back. She's spun herself right round on her chair to face him.

"Joshua Middleton," he says and then spins away, dragging the girl behind him.

Hi guys! If you liked this chapter please vote and a comment is always lovely. :)