Chapter 31

|| Amelia ||

As soon as we were sure Sarah was long-gone, we ditched the truck.

Actually no, let me rephrase that. As soon as we were semi-sure Sarah was out of sight, I tried to convince the others to ditch the truck.

Sarah can never be long-gone. She's like a mosquito, biting into you for the good of her so-called 'Government'.

"We should seriously ditch this thing," I say.

Zach turns around; he's in the passenger seat. "What? Why?"

"Power Travelling will be much quicker."

"Thing is," says Angie from beside me, "no one here knows how to."

And that is one of the many downsides of not having Josh here, even though a benefit is being away from his lies.

"Angie's right," replies the Scottish man from the right. His hands are gripped on the steering wheel, eyes staring right ahead. "We might as well drive. I'll go quickly, I promise."

You better, I think, because Sarah could be closing in on us at any moment.

* * *

The drive is long, long enough for me to fall asleep. By the time I wake up, we're in a city, sharply-shaped buildings looming in front of us, closing us into a long line of cars snaking closer and closer to the prisons.

"We stopped," Angie says, her muffled through a blanket that's up to her chin. "At a petrol station." And that's all she says because her eyes shut tight again.

We bump along a bit more, past a park, a high street, a busy T-junction. And then we're on quieter roads, and there's a sign that says Windfell's Prison for the Winter-Gained.

The bile reaches my throat. We've arrived. At last.

Don't forget to press that star on the bottom left if liked. It'll be greatly appreciated! :)