III

They both stood there awkwardly under the tree.

Junmyeon had received a letter in his locker earlier that day to meet him under this specific tree.

It seemed like another cliché confession scene to him. But either way, he still wanted to see her.

Either way, Junmyeon knew Joohyun probably didn't feel the same way as he did.

He looks into her eyes for a split second, but Joohyun looks away shortly afterward. 

"Irene, why did you tell me to meet you here?" Junmyeon broke the awkward silence between them (although it was still pretty awkward).

She stayed mum, fidgeting with the hem of her sleeve.

"Look, if you're making me meet you here just to waste my time, I'll gladly leave—"

"Wait!" Joohyun burst out suddenly, grabbing his arm like she thought he'd already walked away.

Junmyeon raised an eyebrow.

"L-look," Joohyun stammered, "I... I've been wanting to tell you this for a long time, and I thought you wouldn't accept, however..." she fumbles with her words, trying to find the right ones to use, "...I found a glimmer of hope... but I know you don't... exactly... feel the same way... but..."

Joohyun took a deep breath, finally getting it off her chest:

"I... I love you, Suho," she barely whispered.

Even Junmyeon couldn't hear her. "What?"

"I love you." She said, a little louder this time. "I love you..." She repeats.

Junmyeon stood there in shock, mouth hanging open.

He didn't know what to say.

He just stared into her eyes.

This couldn't be a reality.

He's going to wake up eventually. He convinced himself of it.

"I-I'm so sorry..." Joohyun quickly apologized, "I-I knew I wasn't ready... and you probably weren't either... I know you don't feel the same way, and..." she trailed off, "I-I'm sorry, I'm rambling again..."

Junmyeon stood there in silence, doing nothing.

Joohyun fumbled with the hem of her sleeve again for a moment before finally making eye contact with him again.

"Why aren't you saying anything?"

It was Joohyun who spoke.

They lock eyes.

It was like electricity.

"Love, huh?" Junmyeon speaks.

Joohyun blinks, surprised. "W-what?"

"I'm not saying anything because..." He smiles.

He finally realizes that this wasn't a dream.

He is conscious.

He is awake.

"...I love you, too."

Joohyun widened her eyes.

Before she could register the sentence in her mind, Junmyeon closes the space in between them, and their lips connect.

--

"NORMAL!" He yells into her face. "Fucking normal! Is that so damn hard?!"

Joohyun keeps mum, shutting her eyes tightly. She wants to curl up into a ball and do nothing but cry.