CHAPTER 15

C H A P T E R 1 5

Raphael messages all three of us with instructions to meet him at seven o'clock outside Bay Station. I was hoping to bump into him after leaving Ms. Samson's class, just to talk to him about everything, but wasn't able to find him anywhere. I couldn't help being disappointed. I know I'm not supposed to have feelings for him, but really, what harm is there in me having a little crush? I don't understand why Ms. Samson is so freaked out about it. A guy as hot as Raphael isn't going to go for someone like me anyway. Even if I am kind of a superhero.

Before I leave the apartment, I give Mom a massive hug and kiss. After all, I may never see her again. This nearly starts me blubbering, especially when I think of Mom dealing with the loss of another daughter. I know that would kill her. Literally.

On the flip side, if we are successful, I won't be coming back alone. The possibility of returning Jade to Mom makes the danger I'm about to face more than worth it.

"What is all of this hugging me like a boa constrictor about?" she asks, laughing. Her brown eyes sparkle; she's getting healthier by the day. "Did you do something wrong in school? Should I expect a call any minute?"

"I just want you to know how much I love you," I say, my throat tightening. "How lucky I feel to have such a great mom."

"I'm lucky as well," she replies, hugging me back. "Now go and meet your friends. What did you say their names are?"

"Cassandra and Lily. And Raphael's going to be there too."

Mom raises an eyebrow at me. "I think he likes you,mija."

I shake my head. "No, Mom, I really don't think he does," I say, remembering how he pushed me away when I tried to kiss him.

"How could he not like my beautiful daughter? Besides, I've noticed the way he looks at you." She winks at me. "Now go and meet your friends and have fun."

If only she knew.

The sun is just setting, casting long shadows in front of me as I power walk. Sweat rolls down my face and drips into my eyes, making them sting like crazy. Even the sun slipping below the horizon doesn't seem to affect the temperature much anymore; the air is still heavy and hot. Cicadas sing from the trees.

I'm over ten minutes late and everyone is already waiting for me outside the station. Cassandra makes a point of looking at her watch.

"Sorry," I say, breathlessly. I'm hoping I don't have massive pit stains on my T-shirt.

"Not a worry," Raphael says, smiling at me. "You're not that late, and I've just finished filling these two in on what we might expect."

I look at him. "What should we expect? Will it be the same as last time we were there?"

"I really don't know," Raphael says. "But if we are able to get through the gateway, we'll be back in London. At what point in history we arrive, is uncertain. What is guaranteed is that it will be a time when there was an abundance of negative energy and human suffering."

"How do we get through the gateway?" Cassandra asks. She takes a clear elastic band out of her jeans pocket and twists her long, glossy black hair back off her face and into a loose bun. I can't help noticing how angular her face is and how beautiful she looks with her hair off her face. A twinge of jealousy runs through me like a shock; I hope Raphael isn't noticing this as well. "Is it like a magic door or something that suddenly opens up?" I detect a slight sarcastic edge to her words. Clearly she doesn't believe everything she's been told. Not that I blame her. Even seeing this stuff with my own eyes wasn't enough to convince me at first.