Chapter 7: Adjusting

The next day Alex left super early and got Donna, Mike and Harvey coffee from the street vender. She got to the law firm so early no one was there yet. She put the coffee on their desks and she gave donna a gift card to a clothing store, to replace the clothes she took. Alex made her way to Louis desk and dropped off all of his forms and paper work she had done the day before.

She finally made her way to her desk. People were starting to filter in. She turned her computer on and quickly finished the work she left yesterday. She needed to leave early tonight. She had to talk to Sarah. Alex was finally getting into a good pace when her phone buzzed. It was a text from Harvey asking to see her.

What is it now. She thought. When she rounded the corner to Harvey's office she noticed Donna wasn't at her desk. She entered Harvey's office. All three of them were waiting for her.

"What did I do?" She asked putting her hands up in surrender.

"How did you know what coffee we all liked?" Harvey asked keeping his serious expression.

"Like I told you on the first day I pay attention to detail. I knew which street vendor you get your coffee at?"

"And the clothing store? How did you know that was my favorite place to shop?" Donna asked.

"Uh...it's were you bought all my clothes, it was kinda obvious." Alex answered.

They all just stared at her for an awkward amount of time.

Donna finally let out a laugh. She ran over and gave a hug. "You are insane! Good job." She patted Alex on the back and returned to her desk.

"I hope this isn't bribery." Harvey said sitting at his desk as well.

"Just trying to be friendly." She said with a smile.

"Well that's all, get back to work." Harvey said shewing her away.

She obeyed and Mike followed her out.

"Thanks for the coffee." He said.

"no problem. It's the least I could do to say thanks for rescuing me."

"I get me and Donna, but why did you get Harvey coffee?"

"Because he scares me and I don't want him to hate me." She replied honestly.

He laughed. "That's a good of a reason than any."

Alex went back to her desk and grabbed he coat.

"Where you going so early?" Louis's annoying voice asked.

"I'm heading home." There was no way she was telling him she was going to talk to Sarah. He would just get angry or something.

"It's too early. I need you to do more work." He said.

"I'll do it tomorrow. I need to get home." She said turning to leave.

"Um excuse me. If you don't want to be fired I suggest you stay and get my work done. Don't make me get Jessica." He said giving her the evil eye.

She sighed and made her way back to her desk. The stack of paper was taller than she was. It was going to be another long night.

"Sorry about Louis, I told you he can be...difficult." Mike said approaching her desk.

"Yeah, but it's the job right?" She said opening the first folder.

"Yeah and Mrs. Pearson keeps singing your praises so everybody's trying to test you. There going to keep you busy for a long time."

"I guess that's a good thing, then I can prove myself or whatever." She said still staring at the papers.

"So why did you want to leave early tonight?" Mike asked sitting himself on the desk.

"It's nothing."

"Boyfriend?"

Alex laughed aloud. "No, no boyfriend. I just." She looked at him. "It's a secret."

Mike's eyes widened. "A secret? Well now I have to know."

"No." She answer harshly.

"How important is it?"

"Pretty darn." She said still ignoring him.

"I'll help you with this paperwork if you take me with you." He said turning her office chair around to face him.

"No." She said shoving him away.

However, Mike was strong her held her chair in place. He leaned in close to her. He had the biggest mischievous grin. He looked like a little boy. "I'll only let you go if you let me help you and take me with you." He said moving his eyebrows.

She stared at him. He was such a kid...."FINE!" She said with a big exaggerated sigh.

"Yes!" He said practically jumping in the air and pulling up a chair.

Alex couldn't help but smile. He was such an interesting guy. They worked for hours. Even with the two of them working they still couldn't finish in time. It was late when they finally finished.

"I'm sorry we couldn't finish in time." Mike said holding her coat open for her.

Alex at first didn't know what to do, but she let him put her coat on. He smiled at her. "I'll walk you out."

As they were walking downstairs into the lobby Alex couldn't stop herself. "Do you mind if I ask you a personal question?"

"Shoot."

"I try not to...well read people, but sometimes I just can't help it....I....ugh...." This was hard to say. Mike just smiled at her, and gestured for her to continue. "I get this feeling that your parents died when you were young...." She bit her lip in nervousness.

A sad expression came over him. "Yeah my parents died in a car crash when I was eleven. My grandma has taking care of me ever since."

"Oh....I'm sorry."

"How could you tell?"

"I don't know. it just seemed kind of obvious to me... I can't always explain it though."

"Ok, then why did you ask?" He stopped and stared at her.

"You're just so nice... it didn't make sense for someone who has had such a rough past to be so kind and gentlemanly." She said staring back at him.

"Well I wasn't always this way...I..ugh....I was in a bad crown of friends...but Harvey and this law firm has really helped me out."

Alex nodded. They had reached the outdoors. Alex's taxi was waiting for her.

"Well I'll see you tomorrow." She said as she turned to leave.

"Alex." She stopped and turned to face Mike. He paused for a moment, like he wanted to say something. "Goodnight."

"Night." She hopped in the cab and went home.

This new life was strange for Alex. She hadnever really had super close friends. She just pushed people away. As much as shedidn't want to admit it she had serious trust issues. Maybe this was theturning point. It was an adjustment, but it was a change Alex was going tomake.