U-1938- 'Sunshine': Australia

This is a unique insulator that is used where drop lines attached to buildings or went underground etc. The main wire could be  tied or terminated at the groove of the insulator, and a take off could be run through a small hole in the groove to the top of the insulator. The insulator has a removable lid, which covers a small compartment. The compartment was used to make junctions and was then filled with a tar like substance. The other end of the termination was passed through one of 2 holes as shown in the picture, out the bottom of the insulator for a neat, tidy job. Sadly, someone has vandalized this one long before I got to it, leaving me with a cap-less item which is also severely broken around the skirt. It had some trashy wire going through it. Some time I will set it up, and upload some pictures of how it was used. It essentially provided a dry spot for the joint, largely preventing power leakage and loss. The base is marked at the top of the thread, as seen in the pictures, thus making it not visible when the lid is screwed on. The lid also has a marking, "Sunshine -year-", allowing for the lid to be replaced without replacing the base, making it possible to have the two parts with different years. 

This kind is usually known as a 'pothead', and is likely a copy of British potheads, which are one of the more common types of British insulators.

- Marked S 33