Chapter 13: Revelation

A/N
Title says it all. This is a long chapter. Buckle up!

"So this is where you go now that you had your shift rescheduled?"

Startled to hear the voice, Errol dropped the stylus pen that was gripped in his hand and whipped his head around. Standing at the end of the table here located just near the windows was Abeela, a ring file hugged to her chest and a pair of white headphones slung around her neck. It was rather odd to be seeing her at a place where it wasn't the food parlour that they both worked in, like hearing a very reserved classmate speak for the first time after years of not interacting with anyone. It only just occurred to Errol that he'd never actually seen her in any other clothes than the usual uniform that they'd been instructed to wear at the parlour; an olive polo shirt and a pair of black trousers. And Abeela always had striped blue-and-white sleeves covering the length of her arms. Though, the cream loose blouse and faded burgundy palazzo pants did look good on her today, complementing with her dark features.

"Gotta say, never actually took you for someone who goes to the library," Abeela continued when Errol remained silent. "A public one at that."

Feeling relatively prodded, Errol cast the polished wooden interior of the library a swift glance before settling his attention back on her. He'd started coming here just three days previously - after having his post at the parlour rearranged - having found that he could focus on his work more whilst also basking in the awe-inspiring view of the landscape of a park outside just through the windows. The serene silence helped him concentrate, and there were resources here should he need to conduct a research. He doubted his presence was incongruous here. Who would pay that much attention anyway? For all he cared, anyone could go to the library - and that didn't exclude him.

"What's wrong with me going to the library?" he asked when he finally found his voice, his attention growing more pronounced now that he was more aware of his vicinity. For the past two hours, he'd been swimming in his own realm, simply sketching some patterns and rough drafts on Photoshop using the laptop borrowed from Jordie. The drawing tablet provided him with a sort of kinship he'd never thought of acquiring, precisely speaking. He had clearly forgotten he was at a place he hardly ever went to. It was like waking up from a deep slumber.

"Because you never actually set foot here," commented Abeela.

Errol felt his eyebrows raise in a challenge. Whilst it was true that he had never quite set foot in this particular library situated near a university campus, he wasn't in the mood to profess his defeat into concurring with her statement either. "Right, 'cause you definitely go here everyday," he remarked in his most sardonic way possible.

Abeela let her thick file drop onto the surface of the table with a resounding thud, earning a few glances from the other people currently occupied in their own work as well as a couple of identical glares from two people sitting nearby. Not that she paid any of them any heed.

"As a matter of fact, I do," she said. "And you're sitting on my chair."

Oh, Errol thought. "I don't see your name on it,"

"Don't need to. Other people can feel my spirit occupying that chair when they come near it,"

"That so?"

"I know so,"

Errol pursed his lips. "Don't you have a library at your campus?"

"Oh, this is the library," said Abeela a matter-of-factly.

"I thought this was a public library?"

"It is now,"

Errol frowned, completely baffled by her words. Before he could enquire her any further, Abeela went and occupied the empty chair across from him, spreading out sheets of notes upon an alarmingly thick volume of reference book that she'd undoubtedly gotten from one of the shelves at the very back of the library. Errol noted just how fast she was working, her pen already moving rapidly in her hand as she scribbled something down on a foolscape paper. She appeared to be in a diligent mode.