xi

✧✧✧

CASTLE DARRYNEARBY THE RUBY FORD,298 AC

CASTLE DARRY
NEARBY THE RUBY FORD,
298 AC

NEWS OF A QUARREL BETWEEN PRINCE AND JOFFREY AND ARYA STARK HAD TRAVELLED to the court where the Queen and King of the Seven Kingdoms stayed. Once this news had reached the Hand of the King he searched relentlessly in the woods nearby the ruby ford.

The handmaiden sworn to House Stark sat in the Great Hall of Castle Darry, where the King of the Seven Kingdoms sat on a chair beside his queen. She sat beside the eldest daughter of the Hand, who the Hand had thought to have been already in bed. The moon was high and the sky and many crowds of lit torches beaming strong candlelight traveled across the woods nearby the ruby ford.

The sun had set twenty-three times since the king and his hoard departed from Winterfell. The days had taken its toll on the group and this news of what happened at the ruby ford did not provide any aid.

Mallie leaned towards Sansa who had remained silent and whispered slightly: "What had really happened at the ruby ford?" The handmaiden had already known of how dependent the Crown Prince had been. Of all things, he had a swornsword at his side so no karma would strike him dead nor so his ego would undo him.

The crowds surrounding the King and Queen had been in a fury, as had the King and Queen been as well. Before the lady begun to speak some Darry and Lannister soldiers side-eyed their conversation. Mallie pulled Sansa carefully to the hallway outside of the Great Hall, and where no servant nor soldier would be able to listen into their brief conversation.

"Speak, my Lady," Mallie ushered. She had been curious as the topic came up abruptly and so suddenly — there were multiple stories spread. Sansa look frightened and her eyes had begun to fill with tears, "I serve you and your sister, Sansa. This manner is as just as mine as it is yours."

The two girls crowded around a small candle that stood on a stand. A tear streaked down Sansa's cheek, and her voice became low and altered, "A fight broke out and then Nymeria had bit my Prince Joffrey ... once he had been hovering over Arya."

Silence broke the conversation for a moment before Sansa turned into the darkness of the hallway and her body begun to shake and Mallie had heard her lady weep. The handmaiden walked around the candle to embrace Sansa into a light grasp and rubbed her back comfortingly. The eldest daughter of the Hand weeped for a few moments until she no longer weeped and she whined, "They took Lady from me, I do not know why but they were looking for a direwolf — and they took one. She is tied up outside, Mallie. Why has she been tied up?"

A lannister soldier cracked open the door and called out: "Sansa Stark's presence is needed by the King of the Seven Kingdoms."