xiv

✧✧✧

WINTERFELL,298 AC

WINTERFELL,
298 AC

THE LORD IMP HAD RETURNED TO WINTERFELL from the Wall, which he had visited along with the newly-sworn brother of the Night's Watch, Jon Snow. On a saddle he rode a horse along with two other Lannister guards beside of him.

When the Imp rode into Winterfell it seemed as though no one appeared — as if the town was empty. Out of the corner of his eye he saw a figure that he could barely recognize; which he later figured had been the ward of Lord Eddard Stark, Theon Greyjoy.

"Come to see me off, Greyjoy?" the half man said atop his horse, looking down at him. "Kind of you. Your master doesn't seem to like Lannisters."

Theon seemed to have paused before responding, as if he had heard Tyrion's words incorrectly: "He is not my master."

"No, of course not," the short man replied, looking away a moment before returning his gaze back to the city. "What happened here? Where is Lady Stark? Why did she not receive me?"

"She was not feeling well," he blandly stated.

"She isn't in Winterfell. Is she? Where did she go?" Tyrion had guessed straight away, suspecting the worst of all since Theon had stated that Catelyn had simply been just not well.

Of course, Theon had lied to protect the truth that Tyrion had just uncovered: That Lady Catelyn of Winterfell is not in fact in Winterfell, but on the King's Road towards King's Landing in order to warn her husband about certain information that she had came across.

"The Lady's whereabouts —" was what the ward of Lord Eddard Stark begun to say, well at least until the Imp had cut off his sentence.

"Lady?" He seemed to be surprising at Theon's diction. "Your loyalty to your captors is touching. Tell me, how do you think Balon Greyjoy would feel if he could see his only surviving son has turned lacking?" He paused for a moment, however he did not allow for Theon to say anything else before Tyrion turned back to him, "I still remember seeing my father's fleet burn in Lannisport. I believe your uncles were responsible."

"Must have been a pretty sight," Theon remarked, grinning.

"Nothing is prettier than seeing sailors burn alive. Yes, great victory for your people. Shame how it all turned out."

And with those final six words of the Imp's statement: Theon's dark grin had turned into a stone cold stare as he looked angrily at the short man that sat upon the horse in front of him. The two Lannister guards stayed silent, their helmets open, revealing their faces which could not show no mercy for him or his family.