Chapter Thirty-two

"Is it okay if I look at that back page now?"

My heart stopped. I didn't want him to see that, not anymore. We were enjoying such a great moment here. I didn't need a stupid love confession or whatever to ruin it.

But I nodded. I don't know why my brain decided to be stupid, but I watched in horror as Will flipped to the back of his sketchpad. I burried my face in my hands, not wanting to see his reaction.

After about two minutes, maybe three minutes, Will said something, "Nico, you can at least look at me." His voice had a tinge of giddiness and smiles in it. (I don't know how Will can make his voice sound like smiles, but he can.)

I slowly took my hands away to find Will's dazzling blue eyes staring at me. His eyes moved up and down, all around my face, and finally, landing on my lips. I would have probably kissed him for being so damn attractive, if not for the gap between us.

Slowly, he started leaned in, making the gap between us so small that I could taste his breath. His last meal must have been pure mints or something because dang his breath smelled great.

Once there was less than three inches between us, Will stopped. He looked at my eyes, my nose, and finally, once again...

My lips.

And the gap closed, along with my eyes. But I could feel his lips on mine, fitting together like two puzzle pieces which completed the entire puzzle.

Will's hands went to my hair, pulling at it just a little. Just enough to make me want a tiny bit more of him.

But as soon as my moment of pure bliss had started, it was over. Will backed away, looking a little worried.

"I'm sorry," he said.

No! I signed. Don't be! But he didn't even look at me.

"I shouldn't have done that."

But it was great.

Finally, Will looked at me. "I should go."

Why? Did, my hands took a little pause, where they just dropped in sandness. Was it me?

"No!" Will exclaimed, he was straining to not look at my lips. "You... were great. But... I can't explain it. I came here to learn sign language and discuss Octavian but..."

Will sighed. "I'll see you Monday."

As soon as I heard the door click shut, my face planted into the pillow. And that's when I realized, despite how dumb and oblivious I was: It was Will. It wasn't some mystery girl hoping I was straight, it wasn't some prank, it was William Solace.

He was my hero with an excess of stick notes.