- 1.2: Terms to Know Before an Audition

1. Audition: This determines if you get the part in whatever the heck you are auditioning for. A lot of the time, it is not to be taken personal if you don't get the part. It may be you're just too tall or your hair is the wrong color or you just aren't what they looking for. That's okaaaaaay. Don't fret. You still got it dude.

We'll get into proper audition etiquette soon.

But for now,

2. Casting Director: I've been talking about tuis big CD for sometime now. So what is their job? What will they do? A casting director will sit behind a table or desk, sip their stale coffee from seven in the morning and intimidate the hell out of you.

You walk in, sometimes with your headshot and resume, feeling sophisticated and confident as hell and then BAM, the man with the unmoving eyeballs and the lady with the mug that stretches to the moon is looking deep in to your soul.

NOT.

It may seem scary, (not that I have experience to share with you), but based off of resources, going into an audition, all casting directors want is for you to do good, so they'll pray and hope that you come in there with something to prove.

In their minds they're like: please let this be the one. Oh God, please let this child show us some work.

They cast a production.

These are the people you want to show yourself to, introduce yourself, email them. On Facebook, like their profile (im sure that's what you do for Facebook), and just get your self out there.

Nine times out of ten, if you go into an audition room and see Sarah from last month, you're gonna share this look and be like "ayyyyye Sarah from last month. Look atchu with your fresh new wig and crisp new jeans. Looking noice 👌🏾" and she's gonna be like "Nice to see you AGAIN," because she's already seen your face and she knows how you are.

This means Sarah will be more likely to choose you because she knows that you are fun to work with, charming and don't smell like anchovies and cheese like Michaelangelo that just walked out of there as slow as a turtle. (See what I did there? No. mkay. Moving on!)

3. Monologue: This is a one man band if you know what I mean, which you probably don't but I just thought it sounded cool. The one man band is usually a rant or an opinion, an argument, or just a scene where one person talks to get a certain point or message across. You can be talking about loosing a loved one or having a crush on a boy (what a typical topic; that was me foreshadowing about the troubles you'll have finding a good monologue that's not about having a crush.) It's a script that can be chosen from plays (these are preferred) or from online. Nonetheless, monologues should be chosen according to the character in which you are portraying, should be age appropriate, and should not be THAT long.

I've heard alot that CD's have already made their decision within 30 seconds after you walk into the room.

That makes me sweat in my ears.

What?

That was a joke.

Okay.

As much as I joke, a lot of the things I say REALLY NEED TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY.

i couldn't type that without laughing.

Hardy Hi okay bye.

Leggo.

Next.

4. Slate: State your name, agency if you have one, age if you don't, and character you will be portraying. Simple as that.

So in your case.

My name is AJ Rope. I am represented by Down By The River Agency and I am auditioning for the role as Donnie in Space Aliens: Where the Aliens Eat Fries.

Say this real quick without sounding like youre running out of time, don't twitch or blink nervously, smile but not like you've got some denture glue stuck between your gum and inner lip, and don't shift on your feet like you're gonna urinate all over the fresh pine wooden floors.

Do all that and YOU'VE GOT IT DUDE.

5. Cold Reading: This here is a whole lot of coonery if you ask me. You've got about 10-20 minutes to go over a script that they've JUST given you, and within those 10-20 minutes, you've got to make critical choices in how the character would say something, when they would pause, and things like that.

As intimidating as it sounds, directors just want to see if you will crack under pressure. They need someone that will be able to hold their own when it comes tp being on set, SO don't trip. And if you do, pretend like you dod it on purpose, because Donnie from Space Aliens: Where the Aliens Eat Fries is TOTALLY the type of person to trip on purpose.

6. The Mark: X marks the spit my dear friends. This is just some tape on the floor that tells you where to stand. Stand there and voila, you've met the mark. This is usually so they catch you in the camera. You know if you're standing too far right. . .

7. Reader: This is the person that reads the other character's lines in response to yours. They may sound like Siri's little sister with their monotone voice, but it's important that you act accordingly and put your imagination to use.

Any Questions?

I think that concludes all of it. You will need your headshot, resume, and prepared monologue as well, but the entire audition process and etiquette is explained in chapter 4 labeled as:

Auditioning 101: The Proper Audition Etiquette

With that being said, here is the third section of terms. I do not narrate the terms so they will be a lot more proper and decent:

1.3: Screen Acting Terms >>