14. The Domino Effect

✿ ❀ ✿ ❀ ✿ ❀ ✿ ❀

✿ ❀ ✿ ❀ ✿ ❀ ✿ ❀

THE CHERRY-RED FERRARI fell back onto the ground, the wheels screeching on the ice and the smell of gasoline filling the cold night air. Natasha Kauffman opened her eyes in panic, the moment of stillness and peace she had experienced on the cliff ending. 

She took a deep breath, coughing to expel smoke from her lungs. A piercing silence rang in her ears as she unsteadily glared around the Ferrari. She looked over at the driver's seat and saw Leo Najjar laying against the red leather. There was bloody cut on his forehead, but other than that, he looked beautiful underneath the moonlight. 

Leo widened his eyes, palms rubbing back and forth on his Philip Lim pants. He ran a hand through dishevelled hair before turning to Natasha and declaring, "Dude, you're crazy."

"You're seventeen, have been downing champagne the entire night, and took your million-dollar Ferrari out for a drive with me in it, and I'm the crazy one?" Natasha shook her head indignantly as she wiped her blood-tinted lips with the sleeve of her jacket. 

"Welcome to Shanghai," Leo beamed with a smirk, hazel eyes glinting as he grabbed onto the wheel and pivoted the Ferrari around.

Natasha tried to sit up but her weight immediately pulled her back against the seat. She was light-headed, she must have hit her head when they crashed. "What are you doing?"

"Going home," he declared as they drove down the freeway. Before Natasha could object, he continued. "Unless you want to trade that designer dress for a blue jumpsuit, we've got to get the fuck out of here."

Blue jumpsuit? Chinese prison did not sound like a good time. Leo had been going way over the speed limit, the cops were probably already on their way. Stupid Natasha. You're so stupid. Why didn't you listen to your parents and stay home? Now if they got caught, she was going to end up grounded, deported, or worse, put in prison in a foreign country. 

Natasha pinched the bridge of her nose in an attempt to tame her throbbing headache. If she survived that night, her body was going to hate her tomorrow. She looked out the window as the Ferrari approached a set of silver buildings with glass balconies that were so tall they soared into the dark skies. 

They drove by a beautiful waterfall fountain where there was a huge metal sign that spelled out Wesley Residences. Natasha recognized it from the night before, when she was there with Dakota and Lennox. Leo rolled down his window, pressing his thumb against a scanner on an intercom. The touch ID recognized his fingerprint and they entered the underground parking lot.

"Well, my Ferrari's fucked," Leo let out a breath after he finished parking his car, opening the sun visor to study his cut on the mirror and then clicking on a button that opened the glove box. "There is a first aid kit in there, can you get it, please?"