~chapter sixteen~

An Evening to Remember

~

It took us a full day to reach the next settlement, and we rode into town at dusk. My legs were like jelly when we finally dismounted, and my muscles ached from constant tension. It was difficult for me to relax with Roman's chest pressed against my back and his strong arms around me, and I'd wished a thousand times over the course of the ride that he hadn't sent my horse away. Of course, we'd likely be dead had he not. The troll was thankfully nowhere to be seen or smelled when we left the cave this morning, and I could only hope that my horse had escaped unharmed.

"We'll sell these two," Roman said, pulling my attention back to the present. He motioned to his and Lukas's horses. "Then we'll buy fresh ones. Horses from A'tkumai are some of the fastest in Elodin, and they'll get us plenty of money for new mounts and supplies." He glanced at me and added, "We can probably even afford to spend the night in an inn."

An inn. I groaned silently in relief. A hot bath sounded incredible. I still stank of demon blood and lake water, and I was ready to wash the memories of that experience away.

"So, where are we?" Lukas asked curiously, looking around. I followed his gaze. Good question.

This place looked nothing like A'tkumai. It was a sprawling city of winding mossy streets, and tall buildings made from wood and stone. The closer to the city's heart we walked, the more water we saw. Peaceful pools lined with smooth stones nestled between houses, and simple fountains made of rough gray stone graced street corners. It was a place both beautiful and plain, and much to my surprise I liked it.

"Ferndell," Roman said. "One of the closer cities to the capital. It's relatively quiet, for a city. If I could've chosen where in Elodin to have grown up, this would be it."

"Really? Not the palace?" I was surprised. I hadn't pegged Roman as the quiet, reflective, peace-loving type.

"I didn't quite fit in there," he said with a tinge of bitterness. I decided not to press the matter.

"Just how far is it to the capital?" Lukas asked after a few moments of uncomfortable silence.

"No more than a day's ride."

"What happens when we get there?" I asked. I'd been wondering for a while now, and kept forgetting to voice my curiosity.

A frown crossed the faerie's handsome features for a brief moment, then was gone. "We speak with my father, King Silas. He will no doubt advise us where to go from there."

Though fleeting, I'd noticed the frown. Something told me Roman and his father didn't quite see eye to eye. I was, however, looking forward to meeting the King in person. "Exciting," was all I could think to say.

We walked deeper into the city. A small boy - no more than six or seven years - ran ahead of us in the street, jumping and spinning in wild abandon. He had shining blond hair and playful blue eyes, and I found him cute - until he suddenly whirled around and jumped onto me, his small hands immediately digging in my pockets as I stumbled under his sudden weight. I was too startled to scream. By the time I realized I was being attacked by a tiny pickpocket, Roman had pulled him off of me and held him aloft by the collar of his tunic.

"What's your name, boy?" He asked, his voice low and angry.

The boy stared at him for a moment, then stuck out his tongue at the older faerie. Bold child, I thought. Roman narrowed his blue eyes - much darker than the boy's - and lifted the child higher in the air until they were at eye level.