In The Mind of Anubis

• Dedicado a Sanubis shippers!

Have you ever wondered what was going through Anubis's head when he kissed Sadie in The Throne of Fire? I know I have!

Well, here is my one shot of how he felt when he planted one on her! I hope this seemed pretty in character and satisfies your feels ;)

Ez.

Sadie glanced to the left, flinching at the screams of her friends.

He had told her everything he had to. He should let her go now. He should let her save her friends, let her save the world.

But he stood there too long, clenching his jaw and thinking.

He had been able to touch her hand just a second ago, help her up, so maybe...

It was too selfish, to irrational. He shouldn't. He was a God, and she was... not.

She was thirteen; he was over five thousand.

It was a horrible decision, really. He knew the consequences of his actions, but he decided to act on it anyways.

"Go. I'm sorry I can't do more." She glanced at him, blue eyes worried.

He could give her this, a small moment of happiness on this day.

He was trying to convince himself it was for her, that he had no gain in it for himself.

It wasn't working.

"But happy birthday, Sadie." He took a quiet, deep breath, gazing at her heart shaped face. He saw a flash of shock (or was it hope) in her eyes before he closed his own and leaned towards her.

Warmth.

That was the first thing he noticed. Her lips were warmer than anything he could ever imagine, a jolt of heat against the dead chill he always felt. His eyes fluttered open for half a second in his surprise, but he didn't pull away. He could smell her chap stick, the shampoo in her hair. He felt the softness of her lips, how she returned the kiss almost immediately, her hand clutching onto his wrist.

This was not what he was planning. He was just going to give her a... what was it called, a peck? He wasn't expecting the rush of warmth and emotion he felt when he closed the space between them.

So he panicked. His mind reverted to the most basic fleeing tactic, and he felt the chill wash over them, the world darken, and he could no longer see the girl that had been invading his thoughts. The pressure and warmth of her lips was now gone. His wrist felt like it was burning.

He grunted, running his hands over his face.

Nothing ever went right with her.