Chapter Twenty-Seven

Lexi's P.O.V.

I'm awake before Chris, so I place a kiss on his chest and climb out of bed. I head for the shower and clean up quickly. I don't lock the bathroom door, so I hear Chris enter the bathroom.

He calls out, "I need to take a leak. I didn't think you'd mind."

"Go ahead. Just don't take a dump."

He lets out a loud laugh, "Maybe I'll do that just to gross you out."

"Dude, I will wrap this shower curtain round your head if you do that."

I shut off the shower as he's washing his hands. I wrap a towel round my body and see him watching me in the mirror. He looks serious.

"Lex, we need to talk about last night, hun."

"Ok."

I pretty much knew this was coming.

He sighs, "I don't regret sleeping with you. I don't think I ever will. I had an awesome night as always, but I don't think we can do that anymore. It's confusing for both of us. I want to be your friend, but I almost feel like I can't do that because I'm in between friends and something more territory. I don't think you're ready for something more, especially not with me. I think you need to figure out where your head is at and what you're doing. I think you're lonely and upset with the way your mom is treating you and you want something familiar back. Am I anywhere close?"

I smile at him, "I think you think too much. I also thought you said you didn't know me."

"I've been learning. And I've never been accused of thinking too much. I really do like you, Lex. I want to be friends. I'd be thrilled if there was something more, but I don't want to risk our friendship. If we can only be friends then I'm happy with that."

I nod, "Ok."

"Is it going to make it weird now?"

I chuckle, "Psh, nope. I think we passed that stage a long time ago. We've run through weird, sailed passed awkward, and flown into almost normal territory again. We're cool, Chris. Honest."

He nods, "Good. Let me grab a shower and then we can go get some breakfast."

So we eat, I show him some more sights and things go back to normal. I guess we have a very unusual relationship/friendship. We get back to the ranch just as they're all going for lunch.

My dad smiles at us, "Did y'all have a good time?"

"Yep. I even got him into the Hall of Fame."

I shoot Chris a smirk and he groans in response.

"You're never going to let me live that down, are you?"

"Not a chance, Mr. 'I'm gonna Hate It'."

Both he and my dad laugh. Then my dad says, "We're headin' in for lunch. Have y'all eaten?"

"We had a big breakfast this mornin'."

"Do y'all wanna eat?"

I'm shocked he'd ask that, "You think that's a good idea?"

"I'd like y'all to eat with us. We haven't seen much of you the last few days. Your momma won't say anythin' with Chris here."

I nod and then turn to Chris, "What do you think?"

"I'm game of you are? I'd like to get to know your family a bit better."

I let out a puff of air, "Ok. Let's do this."