5; I'm going to get you drunk

Riley

Madison and I had a routine for parties. We got ready at mine about 3 hours before, had some pre-drinks, and then showed up fashionably late about an hour into the party. Careful that we missed the awkward stage where everyone was still sober, but not missing the golden party hours. 

Dad, reluctantly, dropped us off. He made sure he told me twenty million times that he would be right here at 1am, and if we weren't there he would come in and get us. He had "done it before and had no problem doing it again." Then he told us to have fun. 

We had timed it perfectly this time. When we entered the house, everyone was already pretty tipsy, which meant awkward introductions and small talk weren't going to happen. We could just slip right into party mode, my favourite mode. 

I adjust my cowl neck dress and fluff up my hair before heading for the kitchen to grab a drink. Madison follows me, but she turns down my offer for a drink. "I'll head outside for a smoke soon."

I lean back against the counter and sip at my vodka, surveying the crowd. Unintentionally, my eyes find Eli's again. He's talking to Bec Meyers, his arm up against the wall as he leans close into her to hear what she's saying. He looks up and around at the crowd, then he looks at me. 

I quickly look away and take another gulp. 

"Hey."

I look to see Sophie Maxwell standing beside us, her long blonde hair flicked over her shoulders. She's wearing a mini skirt and a strappy singlet, her eyelashes long and her lips plump. All the guys are looking at her, and she's looking at Madison.

"Hey." Madison smirks at her. "What's up?"

I just stand there watching the whole thing in disbelief.

Sophie flits her eyelashes. "Do you want to go outside?"

No way. 

"Sure. You smoke?"

"I haven't before."

"I'll teach you." Madison grabs her hand and two move to head outside. But right before they do, she leans in close to me. "Have a good night, babygirl."

I shove her and smile, watching as my best friend pulls the hottest girl in school into her arms. I scull more vodka. 

I look back up and notice that Eli and Bec are gone. Everyone knew about him and Bec, it was like Brad and Angelina's divorce. They were the envy of everyone in the school halls and on social media, then one day they just ended. It was like we all went through the break up. I wondered if they were back together now. A part of me wished they weren't, for his sake. There were rumours about what happened, but the one I believed most was that she cheated. I couldn't imagine Eli Matthews doing anything to hurt anyone. 

I head into the lounge to try and find someone to talk to. A drinking game was starting up so I sat on one of the couches and joined in. Nick and Lisa were sitting together on the other couch and they looked up when they saw me.

"Hey!" Nick grins. 

"Hey, Riley," Lisa says.

I give a small wave.

"What are you drinking?"

I hold up my vodka. 

"I'll grab you another one," Lisa says, getting up and heading to the kitchen.

"You two look cosy," I say to Nick.

He laughs a little. "We're just friends."

"Why?" I ask. "Lisa's amazing."

"She is," he agrees. "I'm just not looking for anything right now."

"Sure." I smile.

He laughs. "What about you? I heard you're with Johnson now?"

I roll my eyes. "News travels fast huh?"

"Welcome to high school."

"We're not together," I tell him. "And we didn't sleep together."

Nick just nods. "Noted. You didn't want to go there or?"

I shrug. "I want a bit more connection with someone."

He smiles. "I know what you mean."

Lisa comes back with my drink and hands it to me. I thank her and pull open the tab before taking a sip. I look over at the group of people sitting on the floor. "What are they playing?"

"I think it's some kind of variation of spin the bottle?" Nick says. 

"We can't really figure it out," Lisa says.

I laugh. 

"She made a mistake," a sudden voice says. I look up and see Eli standing above us, and my heart races a little because I'm so excited to see him. 

He holds his beer bottle in his hand up, like he's trying to make a point. "She made a mistake and she's sorry," he says, to no one in particular. "A mistake."

"Bro, are you okay?" Nick asks.

Eli flops down onto the couch beside me and our thighs touch. "A mistake is getting the answer wrong in math, not fucking cheating on someone."

"Man, I'm really sorry," Nick says. "Screw her, you don't need her."

"I mean, that's it? That's all I get? 'I made a mistake. I'm sorry'?" 

"I'm going to go get him some water," Lisa says.

Eli rests his head against the back of the couch and closes his eyes. His grip on his beer bottle is still tight. I just look at him.

"Eli, I'm serious, man," Nick says. "Fuck her."

I keep looking.

"Don't let her back into your life, you're so much better off without her."

Still looking.

Eli's eyes open and he sees me staring at him from above. He blinks. "Hey."

"Hey," I say. "Are you wearing eyeliner?"

"What the fuck? No."

"I'm pretty sure you are."

"He just has weirdly dark eyes," Nick says.

Eli sits up quickly. "Shut up, Nick."

I smile.

Lisa comes back with the water and hands it to Eli, who takes it reluctantly. "I'm not drunk, I'm just pissed off," he says.

"Well then get drunk so you don't feel pissed off anymore," I say.

He looks at me. "You're right."

"I always am, I'm a woman."

"Riley, right?" He points at me, as if there could be anyone else he would be talking to. "Malik's daughter?"

"Eli, right?" I reply. "Heartbroken kid tied up over his ex?"

He just laughs. "Ouch."

"Oh come on, you're clearly not over her."

"She's right," Nick says.

"I am," Eli states firmly. 

"Bullshit," I say.

Eli just looks at me, and it's kind of intense the way he's staring at me. He takes a sip of his beer, his fingers loosely holding the bottle as he tips it. "Alright, life coach. What can you do about it?"

I smile as I stand up and take his hand. "I'm going to get you drunk."