FIFTEEN

Lauren sat with Dinah and Normani on a set of plush couches in the small but private dressing area they'd been assigned at the bridal boutique. It was the first stop of Project Wedding Dress, and the whole thing was just so exciting. Lauren knew she'd enjoy this part, but she had no idea how much. The dresses that lined the walls in every style and shape had her brain in fashion overdrive.

"Can someone help me with the little hooks?" Ally asked nervously from behind the changing screen.

"Oh, me!" Dinah jumped up and moved to assist their friend. And in just a few seconds, Ally appeared, looking radiant in a capped-sleeve, chiffon gown to the floor.

Lauren hands covered her mouth, and she took a moment with the elegant visual. "Ally, you're a bride," she said reverently. Lauren took her by the shoulders and turned her to the full-length mirror.

Ally gasped quietly at her reflection. "I really, really am. I can't believe it."

"Gorgeous, Ally," Normani said.

"What do you think of the dress?" Lauren asked.

"I like it."

"You like it," Dinah repeated. "Liking is important, but we can probably do better than like."

"Okay, but let's put it in the running," Ally said and posed for the photo Dinah took of dress #1. Seventeen dresses later, they had lots of likes but not a single love.

"I feel bad for them," Ally finally said.

"You feel bad for who?" Lauren asked, and threw a glance around the shop for Normani, who had disappeared some time ago. Perhaps she'd lost interest after the first few.

"For the dresses, the ones that are a definite no. Do you think they know? I don't want them to feel rejected, all their dress friends noticing when they're returned to the rack."

Dinah placed a hand on Ally's shoulder. "You know, I feel confident they'll get over it and eventually find their own bride."

"So I have a suggestion," Normani said, rejoining the group.

Ally, who now wore a tea-length lace number, pointed at her. "Go."

"I was talking with the shop owner about you. What you're like, your sense of style, and she took me to a section at the back of the shop." She held up her hand. "Now humor me for a moment, but I found a dress that I think you might like. It's not designer, and it's not brand-new, but it reminds me a lot of the friend I know." With that, Normani disappeared around the corner, and the three of them exchanged curious glances. The dress she returned with was nothing short of stunning. Ally stepped down from her spot in front of the mirror, and her eyes traveled the length of the fabric in reverence.

"Vintage?" Ally said in quiet awe. Normani nodded. "It's gorgeous. I don't know any other way to say it. There should be more words."

And it was. A long, simple, candlelight dress with a fitted bodice that fell to delicate silk below. Shoulder straps dipped into a semi-backless elegance. Ally would look killer in that dress.

"I'm almost afraid to try it on," she said. "What if it doesn't fit? I'm scared to know."

"Well, that won't get us anywhere," Lauren said and took the dress and hung it up behind the screen. "There's only one way to find out if it's a match."

With a deep breath, Ally slipped into the dress while they waited eagerly for her to reappear. "How in the world did you find that?" Dinah said to Normani as they waited. "And how are you always able to pick out the perfect clothes?"

Normani shrugged. "It's one of my few talents."

Dinah kissed her hand. "You have some other very important ones."

"Okay, lovebirds," Lauren said playfully, but then the room fell into silence because there was Ally, and the dress was even more amazing than Lauren could ever have predicted. Tears gathered in Mallory's eyes before she could talk herself out of them. "Look at you."

"Lo, you cannot cry." Ally chastised her forcefully, on the brink herself. "Because if you cry, then I'll cry—"

"And then I'll cry," Dinah said, "and I'm an ugly crier. My face contorts and it's painful for everyone." But it didn't matter, because Ally caught sight of herself in the mirror and went still.

"Whoa," she said, and her hand fluttered to her heart. They gave her a minute and watched as the smile slowly took shape on her face. Lauren shook her head in wonder, because it was like the dress was made for her.

Dinah stepped forward and stood next to Ally in front of the mirror. "Well, what do you think?"

"I love it," Ally said quietly. "It's everything I wanted in a dress. Simple, elegant, timeless. Do you think Demi will like it?"

"It is theoretically impossible that she won't," Normani offered. "You look beyond beautiful, and she's going to praise her lucky stars that she's marrying you." And now there were tears in Normani's eyes, and since when were there ever tears in Normani's eyes? She was by far the least sentimental of the group, and damn it, now Lauren was welling up again. And Ally. And, oh look, Dinah too.

"Everything all right in here?" the sales attendant asked cheerfully, sticking her head in the room. When four tearful faces looked her way, she relaxed in understanding. "So you found a dress then?"

They nodded in emotional unison and accepted the box of tissues she offered them, passing it around the room. "Well, no one can ever accuse us of not caring about each other," Lauren offered and then blew her nose.

AN: This one a bit short sort of a filler chapter anyway enjoy. lovies... 🦋🦋