Chapter 1

Author: Jordan "jwootan02" on fanfic dotnet and "jaryn02" on wattpad and ao3

POV: Brynle

Other Works By This Author:

A Court of Night and Shadows: Elain's favorite folklore of the fae mating bond was never so real as when Feyre comes face to face with her rescuer at Fire Night and that internal, invincible twine snaps into place.

My Brother's Keeper: Rhysand's sister is alive and Under the Mountain by his side, the Night Court whores. She finds solace in a sexual relationship with Eris only to find out Tamlin, High Lord of Spring, is her mate just as his lover, Feyre swoops in the save them all.

Chapter One:

Brynle

"You look disgusting," I tell my father who's determined to make this "party" something the likes of which Prythian has never seen before, or so he says.

"It's called dapper," he says back to me while he buttons a copper cape that matches his burnished auburn hair beneath his throat, the thick velvet falling to his knees. He's standing before a mirror, my image a small reflection in his backdrop as he stares down his own nervous eyes. I shouldn't give him a hard time before he faces all the other High Lords and not their emissaries for the first time in over a century, but I can't help it. He's just so easy to goad.

I roll my eyes and step up to rest a hand on his shoulder. "It's called old. What are you, ten thousand now?"

"Six hundred or so," he says, brushing off my touch. "And what are you, five?"

I stick out my tongue at his mirror self.

"Thought so," he says before turning to face me in the small closet nook within his quarters, a candle lit on every surface behind us as the bedroom stretches to fit his ungodly large oak furniture. We use only candles for light within the Forest House, their flames a constant reminder of who we are, for ourselves and all those who lay their eyes on our power.

Eris, High Lord of the Autumn Court, raises one eyebrow when he sees me. "Are you sure you want to go looking like that?"

My long sleeved midnight gown twinkles with its blue undercurrents and I shrug. "Why not?"

"Because you belong to Autumn Court? Because tonight is a big night for us. Because the Night Court is the closest thing we have to allies right now and," he lets out a low scoff eyeing his defeat, "never mind. We're late."

He slips past me and after a lingering glance at my reflection, at the face of a woman I hardly even recognize, save for the hair I share with my father, I follow him. The candles in our path light as we make our way down the halls of teak and mahogany, the festive smells of pumpkin and cinnamon spice growing stronger with each step. A small part of me questions whether I made the right choice in challenging another court with something as simple as the clothes I met them in, but it's too late to change my mind.

We pass guard after guard and the occasional messenger, someone purposed with the simple task of learning information and bringing it to my father immediately, and I bat my lashes at each and every one. A favorite of mine with glowing green eyes sucks in a staggering breath as I light the candle at his side even long after my father and I have walked by.

Something about having rules has never sat well with me. And given that my father and uncles all preside over my life, dating has never quite been a safe option for me. But today...

Today could be different. Today I have the opportunity. Today we are finally opening up our doors to the rest of Prythian. Today, I'll have my taste of freedom beyond the ever enclosing walls of this never ending home that is my family name - my pride and my curse.