14: Let Me Go

Hey you guys! This chapter is dedicated to my homie Avvishi who is unargubly awesomesauce! Thanks for the amazing idea, Bob! :D Plus, a quick shoutout to Sahana Bhat (who is so talented) for the amazing new Banner for my story! Thanks a million Sahana! :*

CHAPTER 14: Let Me Go

“AVNIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!” I heard my mum scream from the front garden about 20 minutes after Vihaan left.

The date, for the lack of better words, sucked (at least for me). BIG TIME. I was a disaster in the kitchen, and I had made a complete fool of myself in front of Vihaan. All that had happened in the last 2 hours had already managed to drive me insane. I knew just how to deal with it, so that was a plus side.

“Ajji,” I said, knocking on her door. She was lying down on her bed, fanning herself.

Baa Avnu,” She invited, “This heat is killing me! I think the Gods must have kept Bangalore over a stove or something!” She said dramatically.

“Ajji, I want to ask you something,” I whispered. When I had her attention I continued, “Can you teach me how to cook?” I blurted.

“Teach you to cook? But why?” She asked with a puzzled expression.

“I am a disgrace to cooking Ajji. I just want to learn enough to keep Vi- I mean, keep me from starving.” I stammered. PHEW! That was close.

“But why will you starve? You have three full meals a day, na?” I think she was mocking me.

“Eh, Ajji, will you teach me or not?” I asked getting her drift.

“I will putta! But not today, okay? Me, you and Asha have to go out in the evening okay?”

“Huh? But where?”

“Hasn’t Asha told you? Go ask her the details,” She said, shooing me away.

I then found out that Ajji, Ma and I were invited to Ma’s friend’s house for supper. Who this friend was, I don’t know. But I have never been the person to say no to food, so I was more than happy to tag along.

At 6 pm, I had dawned on a pink salwar kameez (according to my mother’s strict instructions) and left my hair loose.

“Avni, your hair looks like a bird’s nest! Tie it up!” Ma hissed. She had something to say about everything.

“Asha, leave the child alone! She looks fine!” Ajji said.

“Ma, today she will listen to me. Tie it up!”

Before this could lead to one of their nonsensical bickers, I tied my hair into a loose braid.

“Happy?” I asked sarcastically.

We reached Ma’s friend Veena Aunty’s house in ten minutes. As soon as she saw us, she jumped up and ran to greet us.

“Ashaaaaaaaaaaa! So nice of you to make it!” Veena Aunty squealed.

Ten minutes into this supper, I was already bored out of my mind.

“My son Prathik is late today. You see, he is very busy at his work,” Veena Aunty said looking very sad.

“Oho, is it? What is it that he does, Veena?” Ajji asked.

“He is an investment banker,”

“Wow, Investment banker,” Ajji whispered to me, “Did you hear that, Avni?”

“Oh, I heard her alright, Ajji,” I hissed back.

Another twenty minutes into this supper, I had heard enough of praises for this Prathik person, not only from Veena aunty, but from Ma and Ajji. After the overload, I excused myself and was happily walking around in the terrace, when somebody tapped my shoulder from the back.