Chapter One

AO3 AN: 

This is a revision to my original version of this fic over on FF.net,

I'll be posting this version over there ASAP

Yes there is a lot of cliche here but please deal with it and give it a shot!

#Parsel#

Un'Beta'd

Chapter 1:

"Quick Lily, he's coming! Take the twins and run." James Potter yelled frantically, as he felt the wards trigger but he knew it was already too late. The Dark Lord blasted down the door and hit James with a stunner before the man had the chance to even open his mouth. Usually, Voldemort would have killed him, Potter was a strong opponent, but he had promised one of his Elite to spare the Mudblood girl and it would raise a number of questions if Potter was dead and she wasn't.

The Purebloods may begin to believe he was favouring Mudbloods over them and that would be counterproductive, while his Elite understood most of his true motives, even they wouldn't understand why he had killed the Pureblood and a Mudblood was still alive. He continued up the stairs silently, he could sense which room she and the children were hiding in and he opened the locked door with a careless flick of his hand. The Dark Lord stepped in to the room and saw Lily Potter stood in front of a cot, blocking both children from his wand.

"Not my babies please." She begged "Take me instead."

"Stand aside, girl." He ordered and she shook her head.

"Please, not them. Kill me, not them."

"Move, and I shall spare you." He hissed and when she refused again Lord Voldemort sighed, he didn't have time for this. He threw a stunner and Lily Potter slumped to the ground unconscious. He stepped carelessly over her still form and looked in to the cot at the two children who were now gazing up at him. One of these children was prophecied to defeat him and that was something he could not allow to hang over him, the war was at a crucial point. He would give them a painless death, magical children were to be cherished so he didn't take any pleasure in what he was about to do.

It mattered not, the Potters were young enough to have more children. He just had to decide which child was the one the prophecy spoke of. One, the girl, had brown eyes and auburn hair, but there was nothing extraordinary about her so he shook his head and turned to the other. The boy, Harry Potter if the rat was correct, looked upon him with glaring green eyes that shone with power even at his age, and the Dark Lord closed his eyes and felt the waves of magic rolling of the boy.

"You are a powerful child, the one to defeat me. I would keep you alive if I knew you would join me, but of course with your family there would be no chance." The man murmured more to himself than anything, but unknown to him, the child, Harry Potter, heard every word. Voldemort levelled his wand and cast the killing curse, it struck the boy square on the forehead but rebounded at remarkable speed, causing a magical backlash ripping the Dark Lord from his body and caving in the ceiling. Harry was thrown back unconscious bleeding from the lightning cut on his forehead and a piece of wood hit Rosina Potter on the cheek creating the same mark.

When Sirius Black fell in to the ruins of the Potter cottage, he cried out in utter agony when he saw the still form of his best friend, he stumbled over frantically and even though he believed it to be useless he cast an 'Enervate'. He felt relief beyond measure when James stirred, laughing hoarsely when he blinked and opened his eyes.

"James, Jamie." Sirius called and James groaned.

"Si'rus?"

"Thank Merlin," Sirius breathed in relief, "I thought you were dead." At the mention of being dead, James leapt up and dashed up the stairs with Sirius behind him, he burst in to the ruined nursery and took in the scene with ragged breathing. Lily's fallen figure, the pile of smoking robes, the crumbling ceiling, and the trail of blood running down Rose's face as she screamed.