Chapter 19

Alexis. You didn’t come back for me.’ The light, airy tone lifted petulantly above the noise of the teeming mass of bodies crammed in the public bar at the front of the tavern that spilled seamlessly out into the darkened street and merged with the passing foot-traffic. Alexis had little trouble catching the words and he turned immediately to meet Liviana’s golden eyes, who easily stood almost a foot taller than most of the men who lounged or stood about sharing wine and roasted meat in the hot, bustling space just inside the shop-front. The laughter and bubbling hum of conversation gradually lulled around them as every eye of the curious was turned now to the two tall figures who faced each other from either side of the room, one golden and resplendent in a pale blue stola that shimmered with an ethereal gleam in the lamplight, overlaying an expensive-looking ivory silk tunic, the other looking strikingly poorer in comparison with his dirt-stained and torn tunic of once finely woven cloth, though both were breathtakingly beautiful. Liviana’s hair spilled out in a long flaxen rope from a thick pearl band fixed to the crown of her head, the shining locks studded with tiny little flowers crafted from lapis lazuli as the braid hung heavily over her one shoulder that was laid bare by the fold of her gown. The opposite shoulder of her stola was secured with a silver and sapphire broach which most likely cost more than most of the men in the tavern could ever dream to earn in a year. Indeed most merrily-glazed eyes were drawn to it as the woman moved deftly around the stools at the open front of the tavern where the hungry could eat on the go, towards Alexis as he stood towards the back of the room surrounded by the tables at which the slightly more wealthier clientele were perched, watching and waiting as they consumed fish hauled fresh that morning from the boats nestled in the docks just a stone’s throw away.

‘I thought my letter explained everything quite clearly, Liviana,’ he said, turning from her as she came to stand before him. The delicate tinkle of a laugh, like wind through a fragile crystal chime left the lips of Liviana as she took in the plate of food that Alexis carried in one hand and the plain brown jug of ale in the other.

‘You have somewhat lowered yourself to be waiting on your slave, dear brother.’ Her words were still soft, though her tone was feminine enough to drift easily above the coarser sound of the predominantly male conversation that remained hushed and expectant as everyone watched the two majestic creatures face off like peacocks in the midst of a courtship display. All eyes were drawn now to Alexis, some filled with mirth at the woman’s words, others too glassy with the copious amounts of cheap wine and ale to be anything but gleeful at the tension of confrontation that suddenly swelled in the room. Alexis’ fist clenched with fury around the handle of the jug he held and the rough pottery was in danger of being ground to dust beneath his grip, the clenching of his teeth given away by the taut muscle in his jaw. He closed his eyes for a moment, clearly trying to reign in his temper as his lips were pressed into a hard line.

‘Why did you come here?’ he asked his words terse and sharp.

‘Speak with me outside,’ Liviana commanded, haughtily, ‘I can’t bear to be in this filthy backstreet hovel for one moment longer.’ She turned elegantly, swinging her long golden plait over her shoulder and letting it fall straight down her back as she stalked from the room with all eyes following her. The idea that Alexis would not follow her had never crossed her mind as she left the open-fronted tavern and stepped out into the street where the heavy, cloying scent of fresh and rotting fish was strangely less potent than it had been inside. Liviana stalked through the teeming mass of commoners without a backward glance; dock-workers, traders, sailors and travellers alike who did not have a home to go back to or slaves to cook for them, who littered the street outside, hustling for service or a table. Alexis, as every other man in the room did, watched her go with wary eyes. He placed the jug and plate of food down on the nearest and unoccupied table with every expectation of finding both empty on his return. He found Liviana around the corner of the tavern where the bakery next door left a gap of about three feet wide which was usually utilised by passers-by needing to relieve themselves, the fetid stench of piss and human waste caused Liviana to wrinkle her nose.