Chapter 24

‘Are you hungry? ’ Jinn sat beside Eirene, perched on the edge of her bed as she remained still curled sleepily beneath her blanket. His warm fingers caressed her dark hair, tucking a lock behind her ear.

‘No, I’m not hungry, Master.’ Eirene sat up, pulling the blanket around her as she shivered at the fresh morning breeze that blew in from the docks and crept through the gaps around the window shutters that were still closed. Eirene had slept fully clothed that night, more from the effects of the alcohol on her consciousness than from any kind of prudery. She was glad of the extra warmth that morning though, as she thought the air was colder here. Or was it just the snippets of remembered conversation that had chilled her bones? He, this devastatingly handsome man had been sent to lead her to her death.

‘Jinn, please. Call me Jinn,’ he insisted for the umpteenth time. Eirene half smiled, half frowned.

‘But it seems so disrespectful. Even my father was ‘Master’ to me,’ she said. Her words were brushed aside by Jinn’s soft lips trailing over hers and the sudden contact sent a delicious and unexpected shiver along her spine.

‘Then call me whatever you wish, it matters not to me.’ Jinn touched Eirene’s flushed cheek with the back of his hand, trying to catch her lowered eyes with his own. ‘Are you alright, Eirene? What’s wrong?’ Eirene caught her lower lip between her teeth, drawing her knees up to her chest.

‘I’ve just been thinking about my brother,’ she said. ‘It means so much to me to find him. We’ve never been apart until now and this separation pains me.’ She thought she caught a flicker of a shadow passing in Jinn’s eyes as she looked up, but it was gone just as swiftly as she had noticed it and could just have easily been the changing of the light as the sun climbed higher outside.

‘Dear heart,’ Jinn breathed near her ear, before leaning back against the wall where the head of the bed rested and opened his arms to her. Eirene went to him without hesitation, her cheeks reddening as she glanced up in awe at his handsome face before she settled her head on his shoulder. He smelt of warmth, of the earth and sweet air that seemed unaffected by the pressing scent of fish that presided in the Tavern and the rooms for rent upstairs and her lips rested lightly against his pulse as it throbbed rhythmically in his throat, reminding her of the little flutter of the nightingale’s heartbeat against her fingers. How could anyone so human be something so… otherworldly, she wondered. His skin, pressed so nonchalantly against her own felt familiar and welcome, thrilling her. Eirene gave a heavy sigh and closed her eyes again.

‘I need to find him,’ she muttered softly. ‘And what I heard Liviana say last night has unnerved me.’

‘Ah,’ he said when she eventually braved a look up at him. She thought the sound held some raw emotion, sadness or regret maybe? But regret for what, she thought. That she had heard their conversation, or that he had taken part in it? ‘I’m going to call her by her true name now, it’s time we dropped the charade, Eirene. Her name is Petra and she is just as petulant as a spoiled child denied a treat at the moment. She is trying to force my hand with threats but it will not work and she knows that now. I don’t think we have anything to worry about from her, she’ll lick her wounds and find another distraction soon enough.’ His fingers caressed the length of her spine as he spoke, causing Eirene to stretch like a cat seeking more petting, aching for more of his touch.