Momma

The next few days were the same as the last.

Billy sat in his car, rubbing his temple while he waited for Max. He was still stewing over what Steve said in the showers.

He was still stewing about what Max said too.

Has it really gotten that bad? That people are starting to notice? But how could it be "that bad?" Billy didn't understand, he deserved it, that was just normal.

That's how he saw it at least.

Max slid into the seat silently, gently swinging her board into the backseat, careful not to hit the door this time, and stared out the window all the way home. That was fine by Billy, he avoided conversation most times nowadays.

Once they were home Max got out and went inside, Billy hung back, Susan's car wasn't here, she left on her business trip for the next 10 days, Neil also wasn't home yet. Inside, Billy was a bit relieved, Susan was nice enough, but he couldn't stand her. The downside is Neil is a bit more on edge without her there, she was like the dam that held in all the raging currents of Neil's rage, and with the dam gone for the next week, it was open season for any excuse to put Billy in his place. With that in mind, Billy went straight to his room.

After locking the door he stripped off his shirt and tossed it on the floor carelessly, slid off his jeans and sat on the edge of his bed in just his boxers. Letting out a long sigh, he ran his fingers through his hair. Things were tough lately, and god damn if Harrington and Max were not getting under his skin. On top of that, his mom's birthday was tomorrow, and with Susan gone, Billy had a pretty good estimate on how his pre-halloween was going to go.

A loud thud in the other room made Billy jerk his head up. He quickly threw on some sweats and went out into the kitchen, it was Neil, stumbling around with a brown paper covered bottle in his left hand, his right was being used as a buffer from bouncing off the counters. Billy wondered how he even made it home without wrecking.

Neil looked at Billy, taking a swig from the bottle.

"Is- It's all, your fault," he slurred, running a hand through his hair. "All your fault."

Billy knew what he was talking about, it had never been a question.

"What mom did, wasn't my fault." Billy spat.

"You were there!" Neil yelled back, words slurring, he took a step forward almost falling over. "You were supposed to protect him! She would be here still if you protected him!"

Billy gritted his teeth, tears building up in his eyes. "It wasn't. My. Fault."

"She would still be here!" Neil swung at Billy, clipping his jaw in the same spot, knocking him back a few steps. Then a punch landed in his gut, making him double over, back hitting the wall behind him as he slid down.

"Say it!" Neil yelled, landing another punch on Billy's cheek bone. "Say it was your fault!"

Hit after hit, Billy took the punches about 6 more times before caving.

"It was my fault!" Blood dripped from his nose and ran down his lips. "She killed herself because I let Lucas die, it was my fault."

Neil punched Billy again, and again, tears started to blur his vision as he beat Billy almost unconscious. Billy's hand came up to Neil's shoulder, quivering, as he grabbed onto fabric desperately wanting the pain to stop.

Their eyes met, Neil's fist paused in mid air. He placed his hands on either side of Billy's face, silent tears rolling down his face as he started into Billy's eyes.

"You look so much like her..." Neil whispered, as if his eyes had been opened for the first time in years. He rubbed his thumb gently across Billy's cheek.

Billy didn't know what to do, hell he didn't know what to say, this had never happened before. He had never seen his dad cry over his mom's death, ever. Neil's hands dropped as if pulled down by 100 pound weights, he pushed himself off of Billy and onto the floor, sobs escaping his throat.

Neil Hargrove had broken down for the first time in years, Billy did what his gut pushed him to do. He crawled over to his father and held him in a tight embrace, Neil crying into his shoulder. Had Billy ever hugged Neil? If he had he wouldn't remember, if he had it has been years. He couldn't remember the last time they made physical contact without it causing him pain in some way.

"I miss her so much Billy, I miss her so damn much..." the drunk man cried. Tears rolled down Billy's face, making his fists tighter into Neil's clothes.

"Me too dad, I miss her too."